Review of Runaway Dream

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Review of Runaway Dream

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Runaway Dream" by Amaka Weaver.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Runaway Dream by Amaka Weaver spotlights a young girl named Amara who aspires to be an actress someday. At first, life seems ideal for Amara—she enjoys her classes, adores her closest friends, and is blessed with a supportive and loving family. However, things take a sharp turn for the worse when deep secrets get revealed, placing a heavy strain on Amara’s path to attaining her dream. Amara wonders what she can do and who she can turn to when all odds seem to stack against her favor.

To start off, I think the story’s plot is interesting. I was intrigued by the author’s choice to discuss how several difficulties might plague the lives of some families and individuals rather than just one major issue. Finding work, paying for college, obtaining a lifetime of satisfaction and happiness, and being infinitely honest and loyal are not always some of the easiest things to do. Weaver’s characters carried these problems well throughout the story. I believe that one of the story’s strong points is that the narration changes between characters’ points of view, allowing me to delve into the characters’ personal lives more effectively.

Also, there was one moment in particular that left me impressed with Weaver’s craft as a writer. Instead of simply writing that Emeka, Amara’s older brother, was reluctant to reach home one Friday afternoon, Weaver wrote:
“With every step I took closer to home, I peeled off layers of a different me: carefree, self-centered, unapologetic, unsatisfied. It was a familiar dance I soon became accustomed to every week.”
This interesting, lightly emotional writing is what I wish there was more of throughout the entirety of the story. However, the reality is that I was extremely underwhelmed with the rest of the book in nearly every other way. This brings me, first, to the storytelling. The execution of this tale was not neatly done. Weaver’s style of storytelling mostly consisted of repetitive and rushed sequences that never really allowed me as the reader to get behind the things that annoyed or excited the characters.

What bothered me most with the book was the severe lack of transition between the majority of all the plot points and settings. The skip from one scene to the next (at times, three setting changes on one page minus all necessary transitions) regularly disrupted the flow of my reading as well as my understanding of what was going on in the story. These instances persisted throughout the entire book, leaving every little thing feeling rushed and incomplete.

Furthermore, I thirsted for more descriptions and emotions/reactions from the characters. Despite the emotional plot, the characters were generally nothing more than robotic and unconvincing. Primarily, I was unimpressed with Amara as the main character. It was difficult for me to relate to and empathize with her. Instead, I found her unlikeable, hypocritical, indifferent, and simply unrealistic despite the author’s attempts to make her the hardworking and determined but betrayed victim. Ironically, her point of view was my least favorite to read.

In all, I rate Runaway Dream 2 out of 4 stars. The plot proved intriguing and ambitious but could use another round of editing and revision to work it to completion. For instance, I noticed inconsistent formatting of italics and quotation marks for characters’ thoughts and their dialogue. Also, near the end of the book, verb tenses started changing from past to present tense, all while more grammatical and punctuation mistakes occurred. All of these errors play a part in my overall rating as they hindered my understanding of the book in some ways. Finally, I think readers who relate to characters struggling to make ends meet, yet who persist against all odds might find themselves entertained by this book.

Runaway Dream
View: on Bookshelves
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Permaculture for the Absolute Beginner by Dawn Raynes
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

That's a very honest review. I hope the author will consider your points in a rewrite.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m sorry that you found only one good instance in the whole novel of revealing emotions. That really draws in readers. I wish that everyone in Amara’s life could have supported her consistently. I understand, though, that other things sometimes get in the way.
Mary Ndirangu 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-ndirangu-1.html
Latest Review: Schroedinger The Wonder Cat by Aaron Rosen

Post by Mary Ndirangu 1 »

From your review, the story's plot seems very interesting and that which demands a reader's stance between different characters. I like that aspect of the book.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”