Review of Year Zero

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Review of Year Zero

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Year Zero" by David Dean Lugo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If they are truly innocent, an accused person does not need a lawyer. The guilty party will be responsible for the cost of any interrogation techniques used by The Corporation—torturing people cost money. As long as The Corporation likes it, the freedom of speech and press is highly valued. The articles in this contract do not apply to the board members of The Corporation, only to its citizens, who are not female or non-Americans. These are the constitutional amendments of the Incorporated Precincts of America: a new world order.

Sixteen-year-old Joey Cryer does his best to survive and care for his younger sister, but life under The Corporation has stiff restrictions: Food is rationed, books are banned, and helping others can get you disappeared. Things are about to get hairier when John Doe, a member of a terrorist organization, shows up injured and barely alive.

Year Zero by David Dean Lugo is a dramatic and frightening view of a dystopian future. It is tense, exciting, and unsettling.

A key positive trait, the narrative hook was well executed. Some stories usually take time to reel me in, but this one was calculating. There’s no dilly-dallying here. Lugo used the first-person point of view, leaping the reader directly into the character’s head. Without any formal introduction, this unnamed protagonist hit the ground running, and my heart rate matched his (the character was actually in action). The only sure thing was that we were in a bad situation; I just didn't know what. Lugo’s strategy was effective, and anyone looking for an intense read will be pleased.

The central theme dealt with a new America in the not-so-far future. The changes in this new world are not outlandish, so there are no space-invading aliens or catastrophic asteroids—Canada is still a place of refuge. The depiction of a totalitarian United States was thorough and impactful; for example, police brutality, trial without a lawyer, and racism. I liked the realism of the day-to-day scenarios in the plot, such as finding food and not missing the curfew. It goes without saying that some elements have been picked from the real world, unfortunately.

Year Zero evokes strong emotions, such as sadness, shock, and hope. Lugo painted a political picture that hangs like a noxious cloud; I'd hate to live in the Incorporated Precincts of America. Nonetheless, the message comes across as a caution. This brings me to another favorite aspect of this book. At the beginning of each chapter, there is a thought-provoking quote from either The Corporation or the rebels.

My only dislike is the romance between Joey and his crush Cameron. Their courtship stage was sudden, and there was no challenge to overcome. Since that part is short and not central to the story, I didn't count it as a negative. It was more like coal to move the train along.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't opt for a 3-star rating because of the hook, the world-building, and the suspense. In addition, the editing is professional; I barely found any errors.

I highly recommend Year Zero to anyone looking for a dystopian genre dealing with government control, anarchy and rebellions. Those who enjoyed The Hunger Games or a similar title should give it a try. There are instances of profanity, depiction of gory terrorist acts, and insinuation of rape and child abuse; therefore, I caution sensitive readers.

Year Zero
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

I couldn't tell if I was reading about a fictional or non-fictional book, and my first thought was, "which country could have such laws". I really love the way you introducedthis book in your review. I bet I'll love the book even more. Great job.
Lily Willard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-willard.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Lily Willard »

Your review is the first one I'm reading to give myself a vibe of what the reviews are like. You put a good amount of your own voice in the review while very purposefully describing the book in a way that can pull in other readers. It is a great example!
Elenimo Chembe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenimo-chembe.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Elenimo Chembe »

Joey Cryer is an interesting character and I like to read this book. Great review too - detailed and captivating. Thanks.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

I would love to discover how Joey will manage with his sister in this dystopian reality. From your review, the novel sounds full of thrill and suspense. Well written.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Your review is simply professional and the beginning was amazing. I haven't seen a style this exquisite. I'd loved to read a book of this caliber, deserving this beautiful review.

I would appreciate it if you could comment on my reviews.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

The story seems to be influenced by recent political events like curfews, police brutality, rebellions and threat of totalitarism. Maybe.the message of posible danger can save us in the end.
Great review!
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

Your review is enthralling... I'll love to read this action-packed series. Thanks for a great review!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Amzes17 wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 08:53 I couldn't tell if I was reading about a fictional or non-fictional book, and my first thought was, "which country could have such laws". I really love the way you introducedthis book in your review. I bet I'll love the book even more. Great job.
I thought the same thing while reading. The author did a great job at adding those lines. Thanks for your encouraging comment!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Peace10 wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 00:09 Your review is enthralling... I'll love to read this action-packed series. Thanks for a great review!
I'm glad you liked it, and thanks for the kind comment.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Uwe Neufeld wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 10:21 The story seems to be influenced by recent political events like curfews, police brutality, rebellions and threat of totalitarism. Maybe.the message of posible danger can save us in the end.
Great review!
The story does refer to recent presidential elections. It gives a different twist. Thanks for dropping by!
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

Seems to me that this book is interesting. I am a big fan of books like this. Thank you for a well-reviewed post. I hope I can bring out time to read and enjoy the book.
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

From my experience, this book is going to be a great read. Thanks for this wonderful review.
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

I love a book with a good hook. I am looking forward to reading the dystopian and anarchy rebellion tropes. Great review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”