Review of If Time Stood Still

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of If Time Stood Still

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "If Time Stood Still" by Paula Marie.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After a tragic accident separates Summer Thompson from her parents, the seventeen-year-old junior begins a new life in Cape Bald with her estranged aunt, Beth. Aunt Beth provides a comfortable life, and Summer settles into the everyday life of a typical high school student with a major crush on the handsome captain of her new school's hockey team, Tyler. Of course, the typical rivalry with the head cheerleader follows, complicating Summer's budding relationship with the handsome brown-eyed boy.

But Summer's life is anything but ordinary. When Summer discovers that the blue-eyed blonde in her vivid dreams, Chris Nolan, is real and that she's "traveling" to see him in her sleep, she begins to seek answers about her past. As Chris teaches her about her ability, he warns her about the consequences of traveling back in time. Still, Summer can't resist the idea of going back to alter the fateful day that changed everything for her. It should be simple; it would only require a minimal change. But if there's anything to say about time travel, the practice is always more complicated than it seems on the surface. As Summer spends more time with Chris, she realizes he's hiding something from her. Even Aunt Beth appears to know something that Summer doesn't. Will Summer learn the truth about who she is? And how will she ever choose between the two young men who war for her affections?

It's easy to conclude that If Time Stood Still was almost everything a reader could want in a young adult fiction novel. Paula Marie is an excellent writer, and she composed an exciting story that left me desperately wanting a sequel! I loved how this book introduced some unique "traveler" concepts and had me deeply engaged as the details of the secret Marie's Traveler society were revealed. Summer's character was relatable, and I loved how torn she was about her decisions. The complexity of her thoughts made her so realistic, and her reactions to the unraveling façade that composed her life made this a genuinely intriguing story. The author did a fantastic job of pulling me into the emotional drama that unfolded, and I was left with many questions and ideas to ponder at the book's conclusion.

Herein lies the problem. By the time I finished the novel, I was disappointed that some of my earlier questions remained unanswered. The finale was a bit abrupt, and there was no indication that there would be a sequel in the future. I wished the author had spent less time developing the love triangle aspect of the book or even eliminated it. While the story about Summer's rivalry with the head cheerleader over Tyler was well-written, it was a bit cliché compared to the Traveler plot, which involved a more complex relationship with Chris. There was enough Traveler material to delve deeper into introducing the rules, politics, and conflicts within the society to make this book fascinating from start to finish.

Still, the book had few editing errors and would appeal to a broad audience of teen and adult readers. If there had been additional details in the story to give a better foundation of what happened to Summer's family and what involvement Chris had in a few key events that were alluded to, I would have given this book full stars. Unfortunately, the ending and the remaining ambiguity left me dissatisfied enough to reduce the rating to three out of four.

I still wish I knew for sure if there was a second book, but for now, I'll have to wait patiently to see if a follow-up gets published. If you like young adult novels that involve love triangles, hidden secrets, and time travel, If Time Stood Still would be an appropriate book to choose. There were several instances of non-borderline swearing and hints of sexual desires, but the teens never got past intimate kissing.

If Time Stood Still
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Though I'm probably not the target audience, the book looks interesting. Thanks for the review!
Lori Phoenix
Favorite Book: This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness
Currently Reading: The Castle Of Troubled Souls Hotel
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reading Device: B071KGVXVS

Post by Lori Phoenix »

The travel itself made me curious. How the author makes it work.
Thank you
Precious Robert 1
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Precious Robert 1 »

The novel is an interesting one..if i was summer i won't know what to do but...but the novel just borrowed me some words of wisdom
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

I think this book deserves a 4 out of 4 rating but nonetheless this review is very detailed. Good job
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I love to read young adult novels, and this one sounds great! At first I thought it sounded like a typical high school story, but the element of time travel adds a twist. Thanks for a great review.
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

Thanks for a well-written review. I can tell that the book is a young adult novel which I am a very big fan of. Your review is an inspiration to me in finding out who Summer eventually chose between her two lovers and what the consequence was of traveling back in time and many more, so I look forward to reading the book.
Daniel Oluwabiyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-profeddy05.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Daniel Oluwabiyi »

Having thought the title was interesting, your review has showed me that this is a book I must read. Great review.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

This book sounds very interesting to me so I would quickly add to my book shelf. Thank you for your review
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

Stories with time travel can be complicated. This one sounds well written. Good review.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

Though time travel stories are always complicated, the review made it look simple and interesting. Thanks for the review.
Ammarah Azhar Khan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ammarah-azhar-1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Ammarah Azhar Khan »

:reading-7: This is the first book that gently made its way to my heart and killed it silently. I didn’t have courage to complete the whole book.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”