Review of The Shadows We Make

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of The Shadows We Make

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Shadows We Make" by Jo Allen Ash.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Growing up on Talia, Grace Irese heard the horrifying tales of the moon planet Emerald. She had always believed elders told these tales to scare young children into submission, but she never thought she'd have to face the nightmares herself. After offending the power-driven man who sought her hand in marriage, Grace finds herself charged with treason and serving her sentence in the Emerald Penal Colony. The undaunted warrior refuses to sit quietly and quickly rallies the other prisoners in an attempt to escape. However, the world outside the prison walls is a mystery, and leaving the penal colony's safety could prove fatal. As Grace discovers new talents and her fellow inmates drudge up courage they didn't know they had, it begins to look like the rag-tag group may have a chance of survival. But the escape that awaits them back on Taila is wrought in turmoil as the ongoing war continues to scar the land. Grace will have to face the man who condemned her in the first place if she wants to restore peace to her world and find her true escape.

The Shadows We Make was an excellent young adult novel by Jo Allen Ash. I loved how the author told the story through three unique character perspectives. Ash created the well-developed first-person voices that distinguished the compelling narratives, kept the reader informed, introduced the relevant worldbuilding concepts, and set the foreground for a riveting mix of emotions and unexpected events. I appreciated Grace's confidence and her drive to find solutions. She was never whiny, and I loved her tendency to make promises that were hard to keep. These undertakings kept her focused, made her feel guilty, and created a realistic character that was fascinating to follow. I also adored Duncan's chapters. His witty personality was winsome, despite his reputation as a conman-for-hire, and I loved his tendency to quote beloved Gran's clichés and life lessons when things got rough for the resilient crew. Last but not least, there was Skelly. While his chapters were few and far between, this mysterious character remained an enigma of unpredictability. His psychotic thoughts kept me guessing as the story's suspense built.

I also appreciated how well the author kept the story moving while setting up the sequel. This book had plenty of action sequences, struggles to survive, and special abilities displayed by various characters. This book introduced many conflicts and set the stage for exciting future events. As I learned about the struggles faced by the characters, the author continued to inform the reader about new abilities and allies that could help the main cast as they continue their journey. Ash did not reveal how the characters will use the various advantages in the future novels in the series, so the book's ending created an excellent hook that made me eager to read the next one when it becomes available.

There was nothing that I disliked about the book. While there were a few minor typographical errors, the book appeared professionally edited. Therefore, I give The Shadows We Make four out of four stars.

I recommend this book to young adult and adult readers who enjoy dystopian fantasy novels. This novel may be an excellent choice for your next read if you seek mystery, suspense, prison breaks, and a building conflict all in one story. There were a few instances of non-borderline language but no erotic content. The next book in the series is The Thrice-Gifted Child, set to release early next year!

The Shadows We Make
View: on Bookshelves
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

From my experience, I can tell that this book is going to be very interesting. I would definitely get this book in my shelf. Thanks for this wonderful review.
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

There seems to be a lot going on in the book. I love Fantasy book so I'm looking forward to reading the book. Great review.
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

An interesting tale of survival and adaptation. I think the book is going to be exciting with unexpected events. I look forward to reading this book.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”