Review of Christmas As Before

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Review of Christmas As Before

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Christmas As Before" by James C Reinhold.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Oh, to be a child at Christmas, to feel the magic in the air, the excitement and anticipation of Santa coming and leaving presents, and to experience all the fun things winter brings. But somewhere between childhood and adolescence, the wonder seems to dissipate. Has it always been that way? That is the question our protagonists, John, Troy, Alex, and Faye, are forced to explore in Christmas As Before by James C. Reinhold. Does forced seem an odd word here? It isn’t. This ‘crew’ of four delight in making fun of their substitute teacher as he tells them stories of his childhood Christmases. Little do they know that this is no ordinary substitute teacher. As they walk out of school that day, much to their dismay, they find that the world around them has reverted to 1967 at Christmastime. Confused, they walk home only to find that their families have experienced the same change. As the days pass and they learn to exist in this much simpler time, they begin to wonder if they will ever see home again.

Christmas As Before would do well as a Hallmark movie; it has that feel. It isn’t full of action scenes and kids who have been chosen to save the world. Its themes are much more down-to-earth. Our little team of adolescents gets the tables turned on them when their substitute teacher decides that since he “has given 2019 a chance,” they now need to give the past a chance. And he has the power to make it happen! They are given no warning and no instructions. They are left to figure it out, make their way on their own, and learn several valuable lessons in the process.

James Reinhold perfectly captures Christmas's essence in the late 1960s, right down to the aluminum Christmas trees, elaborate displays in store windows, and the excitement of a Christmas festival. The most amusing part of the story was the group’s reaction to how ‘cheap’ prices were. Of course, they had no idea about the wage difference between that time and today. The story will feel truly nostalgic for those (like me) who lived in this time. We discover the wonders and simplicity of that time through the children’s eyes. Reinhold’s writing skillfully shares their emotions with the reader, which makes the experience all the more vivid.

Though each character gets their turn, as the ringleader of our little group, much of the story is experienced through John’s eyes. We have an inside seat to the workings of an adolescent mind as he and the group make their way through confusion and befuddlement to enjoying their time in the past and on to worry about getting home. The author effectively uses his experiences with his children and grandchildren to vividly portray the emotions and thoughts of youths in this age group. As they make their way through this ‘alien’ world, they begin to see the value of events and traditions they had previously mocked. Though I would not say that the characters experienced ‘growth’ as such, they certainly matured as individuals.

Despite my enjoyment of the book, I did have a couple of problems with it. Firstly, although our group includes a girl (Faye), the author continuously refers to them as ‘the four boys.’ I realize he probably meant nothing by it, but I found it highly irritating from a purely subjective viewpoint. Secondly, the language was often awkward or stilted, especially in dialogue. For instance: “When lunch completed, he picked up his plate…” and “At that time, it was not recognized to help their mothers, since it was never a man’s job to pick up after himself.”

I would happily give the book full stars for the heartwarming story itself. However, due to the number of errors and the awkwardness of the language, I must reluctantly drop the score to 3 out of 4 stars. I did not drop the score to two stars because, despite its problems, there was an effective and cohesive storyline that successfully got its point(s) across. I recommend this book to those who are fond of Christmas stories featuring younger characters and readers who enjoy YA books with a light sci-fi theme. There is absolutely no coarse language in the book, and the closest it gets to an intimate scene is two of the group having a private picnic that is hilariously interrupted by a third member who has no clue as to its significance. Welcome to 1967; enjoy your time in the past!

Christmas As Before
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Reading this review made me want to read this book. Sorry to say all I could think of when I was done was the comparison to a Hallmark movie. I just don’t like them at all. It shouldn’t, but it will keep me from reading this.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Amy Luman wrote: 14 Jul 2022, 14:07 Reading this review made me want to read this book. Sorry to say all I could think of when I was done was the comparison to a Hallmark movie. I just don’t like them at all. It shouldn’t, but it will keep me from reading this.
I know they don’t appeal to everyone. Thanks for dropping by and commenting, though!
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Christmas season is one of the greatest time of the year. Growing up I can remember the joy in our hearts when singing the carols and playing the role of Mary(lols). I enjoyed your review, the author should do the needful and make this book enjoyable as it should be.
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Maliha Naveed »

This books unites two of my favorite themes i.e., past and Christmas time. I would love to lay my hands on this one. The review is so amazing that I already feel like I am watching one of those Christmas movies that we used to watch in our childhood and even now. Thanks for the superb review.
Onyinyechi Orji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

I love reading Christmas stories. I don't know why the author chooses to refer to Faye as a boy. However, I will read this book soon.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Oyedeji Funmilayo wrote: 14 Jul 2022, 20:24 Christmas season is one of the greatest time of the year. Growing up I can remember the joy in our hearts when singing the carols and playing the role of Mary(lols). I enjoyed your review, the author should do the needful and make this book enjoyable as it should be.
I, too, remember singing carols as my Mom played the piano. Christmas memories are ones to cherish. Thanks for stopping in and commenting; I appreciate it!
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

Christmas is always a joyful period. The story would do well as a Movie. Thanks for your review.
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

Everybody always look forward to Christmas season as it is a time family bond.
I love the book already.
Thanks for the review.
OTrain Disene
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

This seems like a fun beautiful book. I liked your review. It was honest and insightful.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

Christmas stories are always refreshing. I like the book.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

This book is lovely by your review. I will look for this book to buy. What a creative review. Weldone.
Nompumelelo Zakwe
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Nompumelelo Zakwe »

Christmas mmmmm best time of the year. All your family members in one roof enjoying yourselve. This book reminds me of those hallmark movies which I enjoy so much everytime.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”