Harry Potter: do you prefer the books or the movies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Harry Potter: do you prefer the books or the movies

Post by Ohna Martin »

I prefer the books. I watched the movies first and read the books afterwards. after the books, I understood more. Harry has so much more character in the books than he did in the movies. I found his character in the books much stronger and less dependent on friends. There is so much they did not include in the movies like Peaves, Harry's entire friendship with Dobby. The part where he finally win over Kreacher. The ending is so much more spectacular in the books and dit explains more than in the movies.
ErisDecember
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erisdecember.html
Latest Review: Your Father Has Something to Tell You by Dave Riese

Post by ErisDecember »

That's a tough one, I find! While you are right, it is much more explicated in the books and there are many things that I found were loosely tied, especially towards the ending. It is to be expected, however, considering how everything ties together in the books. But I really enjoy the movies as well! Every winter (around Christmas time) where I live, the whole series of movies play on TV (one movie per Saturday), and it is a must see every time!
Sekani_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by Sekani_1 »

Wow! That's a really tough question to answer. In my opinion, although both the movies and the books have their merits, I fully understood the movies after reading the books. Personally though it's sometimes really difficult for a movie to come close to a book by my ratings, this is majorly because, with books my imagination does the bulk of the work when it comes to picturing. However, for the Harry Potter series, I think the movies comes way close to the books. Although this may be because I saw the movies before reading the books. Anyways my lots is cast on the books, i think the books are better.
Ralph110
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ralph110 »

I prefer books to movies. Books make it clear to understand as you can re-read the passage one couldn't understand well. I have watched the movies but reading was more interesting than just watching, i was able to follow the characters logically. Nevertheless, the two work hand in hand movies and reading can make one have a clear picture of the whole story.
Ralph110

Post by Ralph110 »

I prefer books to movies. Books make it clear to understand as you can re-read the passage one couldn't understand well. I have watched the movies but reading was more interesting than just watching, i was able to follow the characters logically. Nevertheless, the two work hand in hand movies and reading can make one have a clear picture of the whole story.
Ashley Price 3
Favorite Book: Home Body
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-price-3.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose

Post by Ashley Price 3 »

This is always a tough question to answer but I would have to say I prefer the books. The movies often leave out the smaller details including living out one of the Weasley brothers. I would say the books also give more detail about the wizarding world as in the fifth book compared to the same movie.
shilpa khanom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-khanom.html
Latest Review: Black, White, and Gray All Over by Frederick Douglass Reynolds

Post by shilpa khanom »

I'm sure this is a question that divides the entire HP fandom but personally I grew up watching the films before I got into the books so when I read the books I could only really imagine who had been cast in the films they were the characters for me. So it was a symbiotic relationship between the two for me? I did love the films and thought they were done really well but the books as others have mentioned definitely feel more immersive. We get to see so much more of the challenges Harry faces not only with the loss of his parents but the weight of the one being relied upon to sort everything out. There's so much more detail about Hogwarts itself and the lessons and teachers etc thats so expertly interwoven with the brewing conflicts. So I guess I'd definitely choose the books but the films certainly have a special place for me
Roshira Coleman

Post by Roshira Coleman »

I watch the movie first some people do it the other way around but I learn more this way but the movie is wonderful I watch it all the time and it's very realistic that's why some of us can relate so we'll to the movie
Alet Van Tonder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alet-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Alet Van Tonder »

I absolutely loved the movies and somehow did not enjoy the books to the same extent. Surprising but in this case movies over books for me.
letinay91
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letinay91.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by letinay91 »

I have read all the books and I loved them, I have the series in 2 languages, but I can't re-read books. The films on the other hand, I have watched countless times.
Chloe Williams

Post by Chloe Williams »

I prefer both the book and the movie. The books set the bases of our understanding while the movie is a preview of the book base on the script writer's views. I'm sure everyone has their own childhood memories of reading the Harry Potter books that they'll tell their grandkids about, I love fantasy, and harry potter provides that fantasy for a kid growing up, the world of magic, witches, wizards, vampires, and werewolf. So watching the movie was very graphic as I pictured it and reading the book allow me to imagine the characters in the way it was described.

J.K. Rowling, whom I respect and admire profusely, has poured meaning and absolute beauty into every single word of Harry’s journey, each and every individual character, and the part they have to play. This series and movie inspired to write my own book so I love both movies and books.
letinay91
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letinay91.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by letinay91 »

Yes, I loved the details about classes at Hogwarts in the books. Reading makes you feel like you are part of the magical world, while watching the films you feel a little more detached.

shilpa khanom wrote: 15 Jul 2022, 10:41 I'm sure this is a question that divides the entire HP fandom but personally I grew up watching the films before I got into the books so when I read the books I could only really imagine who had been cast in the films they were the characters for me. So it was a symbiotic relationship between the two for me? I did love the films and thought they were done really well but the books as others have mentioned definitely feel more immersive. We get to see so much more of the challenges Harry faces not only with the loss of his parents but the weight of the one being relied upon to sort everything out. There's so much more detail about Hogwarts itself and the lessons and teachers etc thats so expertly interwoven with the brewing conflicts. So I guess I'd definitely choose the books but the films certainly have a special place for me
Cheyenne Shaw
Currently Reading: When She Returned
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Cheyenne Shaw »

100% hands down, no questions asked the books. Don't get me wrong the movies were great, however there was just SO much that was left out. I completely understand why they did it, they cant add every single detail of the books into the movies or they would be 12 hours long.
The saddest part for me was the house elves. J.K adds so much depth to all of her characters I really loved the house elves. In the movies they only added in Kreature and Dobby. They left out Winky and some pretty cool scenes.
Amy Bridges
Currently Reading: The Two Towers
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-bridges.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose
Reading Device: B08VKR5PVS

Post by Amy Bridges »

I most definitely prefer the books. There are so many details left out of the movies, there are a couple movies that feel empty. The movies are still good, don't get me wrong. But the books hold all the life that exists in the series.
Le-nic Pretorius
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-le-nic-pretorius.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Le-nic Pretorius »

I have only seen the movies, I don't know if I will ever read the books. Books are usually more informative than the movie so I usually like to read the book first. It's usually more time-consuming if it's a series of books. I do like Harry Potter though!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”