Review of Family Ties

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Family Ties

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Family Ties" by Octavia Montgomery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zamaria is a distinctive planet. It has witches, magic, telepathy, elves, dragons, etc. Among the main characters, we have Aryaman, Audra, Nico, Rashell, Lanyon, and Ann-Marie. Now, there is a task at hand of finding a high-ranking priestess named Morgiana. Audra, Nico, and their two guards find her in Ireland, where she is being forced into marriage. Afterward, Aryaman contacts his father, King Najie, to open a portal for their safe return to Zamaria.

Hardly has Morgiana acquainted herself with the new planet than members of the royal family begin harboring her with duties she needs to fulfill. Meanwhile, there is a heated war in Zamaria, and everyone is expected to perform their part unequivocally. On this planet where humans coexist with dragons, witches, and elves, how will things unfold? Better still, Morgiana’s powers remain the center of everything. Will she fulfill her part fully while she’s still unaccustomed to everything?

I enjoyed the interactions among the characters. Lanyon is an elf, yet he is best friends with Prince Aryaman. In addition, Audra and Ann-Marie are different but best pals. And each was willing to risk their lives to save their friends. In fact, at one time, when Ann-Marie went silent and missing, Audra ignored everyone’s warning and went to find her best friend, despite the dangers.

I did not enjoy how inconsistent the book was. Some segments were packed with actions, while others were dull. An instance of the former was when a weird-looking creature poisoned Prince Aryaman. Nervously, I followed through, wondering whether he would be fine.

Additionally, I had a concern with Morgiana because of her sudden transition. For instance, when first introduced to her in Ireland, she had an Irish accent. It soon fades as soon as she lands in Zamaria.

I loved the concluding pages, where the author included the names of the characters and their role. I say this because they were many. And I mean a lot! Off and on, I had to refer to a previous chapter to recall a specific character. Family Ties by Octavia Montgomery is well edited because I only noted a single error.

The book’s majority parts were epic, and the ending suspenseful. I will give it 4 out of 4 stars. After completing it, I began making assumptions about its sequel. I recommend Family Ties to anyone interested in a mind-boggling book with humans, elves, magic, power, and action.

Family Ties
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

The demands of being a princess never end. Morgiana must be up to the task despite feeling overwhelmed. It’s great how everyone in this story has someone they can count on no matter what.
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

A planet where humans co-exist with witches, magic, telepathy, elves, and dragons. Interesting. I look forward to reading more on the character of Morgiana.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

There is a lot of fantasy going on with the presence of witches, elves, dragons and all sort of creatures living in the same planet and co-exist. But I suppose the war mentioned in the review is between the humans and other creatures? May be they couldn't co-exist that well after all. Morgiana is under a lot of pressure.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

Magic, telepathy, elves, dragons and witches are a great combination for a fantasy novel. I need to get my hands on this book as soon as possible.
Nothanfo Fakudze
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nothanfo Fakudze »

In as much as i cant judge anything theres a lot going on this book ,too much info that we dont have to know right away try to create suspense
Brain Jax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brain-jax.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Brain Jax »

This fantasy looks too twisted for my liking. I think the book would be complex. Thanks for the review though.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”