Review of Impact Zone

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Review of Impact Zone

Post by Ceeco2002 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Impact Zone" by B.D. Roy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book is centered on the McHale family and is narrated from the viewpoint of Jack, a 15-year-old boy who relates his experiences and journey as a teenager seeking to find his way through life and rediscover his purpose. Jack lived the ideal life. He had the perfect loving family, a unique musical talent, and some really impressive surfing skills. His family lived right next to the beach, allowing him and his brothers the opportunity to surf whenever they had the opportunity. However, when Jack got the news that his parents were separating, his world came crashing down. He simply could not believe it. Family was everything to him, and his was the perfect one. Although it was foreseen after his brother, Kai, had mistakenly found a love letter in their mother's jacket, he wished that things would have been different. His dad left home after the incident, and Jack missed him terribly. In the blink of an eye, their home, which had once erupted with laughter, silly jokes, and pure joy, now felt like a strange place. Jack was left sad, angry, and confused because his family would never be whole again. The impact of his parents' breakup had hit him the hardest amongst his three brothers. Would Jack ever be able to heal from this grief that engulfed him? Would he ever be able to understand and forgive his father for leaving home, despite the fact that it left him and his brothers devastated? The answers can only be found within the pages of this brilliant book called Impact Zone by B.D. Roy.

This book had many positive aspects that I'd like to highlight. The author's word choice and style of telling his story were simple and concise. I liked how the author depicted Jack's loving relationship with his parents and brothers in a clear and straightforward manner. It was truly heartwarming to witness their unwavering love and commitment to one another. The themes of family relationships, compassion, loyalty, and forgiveness were prominent in the book.

I also appreciated that the author included a glossary at the end of the book. Because I had no prior knowledge of surfing concepts, the glossary was extremely helpful in understanding and flowing with the surfing terms in the book. I felt the author was also thoughtful in including a beautiful illustration of Paradise Beach, where Jack and his brothers had spent their summer vacation.

Despite all of the things I liked about this book, there were still certain elements of it that I didn't like. First and foremost, I felt the book dragged on and on, and it lacked the capacity to keep the reader interested and engaged while reading. My interest in the book eventually waned, and I had to put in more effort to keep reading. Since some of the characters didn't seem to have enough in-depth development, I found it difficult to relate to them on a deep level. Also, the fact that most of the plot points and the characters' lives were centered around surfing made this novel less enjoyable for me. Since surfing seemed to be the only activity the characters mostly engaged in, and there wasn't much more to learn about them, I grew weary of reading about them.

With the exception of the flaws I've already expressed, I thought this book was great and held a lot of promise for its readers. I give it a rating of four out of four stars. The minor shortcomings were not enough to take away a star from its rating. The book was completely free of errors, indicating that it had been meticulously edited.

I recommend this book to those who are interested in young adult novels that embody the concept of developing good and lasting relationships with family and friends, as well as books that teach important morals that are needed in today's world. Readers who are interested in surfing will also find this entertaining and worth reading.

Impact Zone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

Jack seems like a very heartfelt character. I think I would love to read this despite disposition towards YA.
it is what it is ....

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”