Review of The Ingenious and the Colour of Life

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Review of The Ingenious and the Colour of Life

Post by Vivian Stones »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ingenious and the Colour of Life" by J.Y. Sam.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

J.Y. Sam's The Ingenious and the Colour of Life is a science fiction contemporary novel. It is a story about a group of young teenagers with special gifts and abilities. The book entwines the lives of these young teenagers who learn about who they are and their unique abilities and also create bonds and friendships.

The author begins the book by introducing the characters and their different stories, which surprisingly are connected in a way. The special teenagers with gifted abilities are brought together by a mysterious old blind man who is a scientist to keep them safe. They are told about their past and how they were created in a lab by a group of scientists to be better than the average human. These teenagers have different abilities. Some had the power to read a person's mind and past, and some were extremely intelligent and could understand and grasp more than normal humans could.

The positive aspects of this book are many. I love the way the author developed the characters, telling us each of their stories and what they went through. They are really likable and dynamic, and I loved Calista, who was one of the female characters in this book. I loved that no matter what people said to her, she was proud of who she was and always fought for what she wanted. The author did a great deal of research and showed her knowledge of different fields like medicine, computer science, art and culture, psychology, and metaphysics while writing this book. She was confident in using them to build the plot wonderfully. The author did not only feature human elements in her book; she also included relevant aspects of the animal world. The animals and insects were given a sense of being—a mind of their own, and they talked from their perspective, which I found very intriguing and beguiling. Links were provided so you could listen to songs that the author referred to.

The negative aspect of the book is that the author's emphasis on detail or giving much information slowed my pace in reading it. Due to this, some parts were difficult to understand, and I had to do my research. However, if you have the fortitude, the research eventually pays off.

I will be rating this book 3 out of 4 stars because the author did a remarkable job. It was exceptionally written and professionally edited. There were very few errors, and there were no vulgar words or profanity to be found.

I recommend this book to people who are lovers of contemporary science fiction, thriller, and also fantasy. I also recommend this book to young adults and adults.

The Ingenious and the Colour of Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

This book has a great plot, interesting characters and is action- packed. I enjoyed reading through your review and look forward to reading the book. Welldone!!!
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

The book sounds very interesting and the negative aspect mentioned in the review (too many details in the book) might be something I will like. I am adding this book to my shelves, thank you for the review.
richardbruce
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by richardbruce »

I enjoyed reading the review, and I bet the lives of these incredible teenage will be interesting to read too. I can't wait to o read this book.
Ivan Mukaaga
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-mukaaga.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Ivan Mukaaga »

Wow, you must have enjoyed reading that book. You attracted me when you said that the group is made up of boys who where told they where made in a laboratory. I really would like to read about search a story. Thanks for the excellent review.
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

I loved your review, and this is a kind of novel I'll like to read.
The characters and plots are wonderful.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”