Review of I love me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 380
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Know Your Buyer! by D.L. Andrews
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Review of I love me

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I love me" by Aryam Mussie.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I've wanted to be an author ever since I learned to write. Despite a little progress, though, I can't say that dream's come true yet. In that connection, I always get a boost from motivational books that spur me to go after my dreams.

I Love Me by Aryam Mussie is a compact collection of tools to foster motivation, personal growth, and of course, self-love. Mussie stresses the importance of self-knowledge here and suggests arranging a "meeting" to get to know oneself. With plenty of practical advice, this book shares methods for identifying your dreams, taking steps towards realizing them and persevering through the inevitable obstacles.

You may be thinking that this is all typical fare for a motivational book. Could yet another of these really tell readers anything they don't already know? The surprising answer is, yes. I discovered some gems in this book, sometimes through Mussie's fresh take on familiar ideas, but also thanks to some original content. For example, she gives an unusual tip on how to make a trip abroad memorable. I believe the technique would be effective, and I encourage you to read the book to learn about it!

I appreciated Mussie's emphasis on taking personal responsibility for self-care. For example, in a chapter entitled "Be understanding", she notes: "Understanding yourself means that you need to relax and come down if you are stressed, depressed, in pain or under pressure. Listen carefully to yourself to determine what your body's needs are, which could be both physically and mentally." (From I Love Me by Aryam Mussie, p.66.) Only in the next paragraph does she turn to the matter of showing such understanding for others. This was a welcome reminder of the principle of putting on one's own oxygen mask first.

Indeed, the theme of autonomy is strong throughout - Mussie encourages readers to dig deep to uncover what is in their hearts. This is partly done through the questions that complete several chapters. I particularly liked the section on writing lists of childhood dreams, current dreams, the dreams that have been fulfilled and those that are still in progress. As Mussie points out, filling in the answers will make the book personal to you.

This book is as much about relations with others as concern with the self, though. I was impressed by how much Mussie packed into such a short volume. Some chapters were a little too brief and could have included more detail. Also, all the chapters were unnumbered without subheadings. I think this book could be improved by organizing the content more thematically into sections on self-knowledge, dreams, and so on. The style is conversational and although the points come across clearly, this book needs to be edited to correct many grammatical errors throughout.

I can't give this book a perfect rating because of the above issues, so I rate it three out of four stars. I wouldn't go any lower because of its excellent, fresh content. I was amazed by how such a short and deceptively simple work could be so powerful - it's helped me to find new strategies for making peace with the past and, of course, for working towards lifelong dreams.

I'd recommend this to anyone needing a motivational boost, especially young adults since they are the primary target audience. I can even recommend it to those already familiar with many self-help books because of its original ideas and unique perspectives.

I love me
View: on Bookshelves
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I actually already think I’m pretty great and that includes the way I handle others. This feeling of self-love was probably instilled in me by my parents who never failed to tell me when I had done well. Other parents could do better at that and we wouldn’t have so many adults who feel unworthy.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

I can't agree more with the author about self care and love. Ever since i became a mother that subject became very sensitive to me because u can't seem to find the time in the day for yourself
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

From your review, I can agree again and again that this book is motivational.
Thanks for this wonderful review.
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

This book is going to be a motivational dose for me today and I'm really going get the most out of it.
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

This book is detailed and motivating. An addition to my shelf.
Great review.
Bosa Lapologang Kgosimolao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bosa Lapologang Kgosimolao »

This book is really loaded and inspirational. Self-love is very important as one needs to appreciate self before spreading love out to the others.
Thembeka Mabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Thembeka Mabi »

Well I think this book might be an inspiration to the youth. As my of them struggle with self love and self care. Self love is the first step to success and making your dreams come true, because you know who you are and what motivates you.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 339
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: My Life's Stirring Adventures by Tom Leech

Post by Hager Salem »

It would be nice learning those new tools to work on myself.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Since then I am a fan of self-help books. I think this book helps me to even love myself more. I did self-harm by thinking I am not enough, not beautiful, and so and so, and I think this book teaches me to change that mindset. Thanks for the good review Cherrie.
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

This is the kind of self-love book I typically read. such an inspiring book

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”