Review of The Cat That Was Elected President

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Review of The Cat That Was Elected President

Post by Mindy Conahye »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Cat That Was Elected President" by Allen McCoy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Cat That Was Elected President is a children's story written by Allen McCoy. In this book, Max is a Persian cat who belongs to 8-year-old, Judy. Judy believes Max is so smart. She feels he could run the country better than the president! So she decides to run Max as a candidate.

Max isn't your ordinary cat. Max is a cat who is in the running to become the next president. Being a candidate for the presidency isn't easy, but Max just tries to be himself. Unfortunately, there are people who do not think a cat would make a very good president and try to ruin Max's chances. He's a smart cat that can outsmart anyone trying to cause obstacles for him.

While this book was listed on the site as a young adult book, I feel it is best suited for children. I think a story about a cat running for president would be beneath the reading level of a young adult. Parents will enjoy reading this story to younger children. Those who don't care for insulting presidents in a book would probably want to skip this one. Readers who aren't fans of repetitive punctuation errors would want to pass on it too.

I found this book to be entertaining. Cats happen to be my favorite animal so I enjoyed the main character being a cat. Max also has a silly personality. He knows when someone isn't good and uses his wit to teach them a lesson. I found myself laughing at his tactics. I feel the plot would be one to keep children amused and wanting to know what happens next. Max's character is well-developed, as is his owner, Judy. There were a few grammatical errors in the book and punctuation errors. These were minor enough. While the book was listed as a young adult book, it'd definitely be a children's book. I also wasn't a fan of putting down the president as much as was included. I think Max could have run for president for different reasons. Other than these few items, there was nothing to dislike about the book.

I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars. There are some punctuation errors and word usage errors so I took a point away for these errors. I did find the book enjoyable. The plot of a cat running for the presidency is an interesting one. Overall, the book was well-written and I would suggest it to others.

The Cat That Was Elected President
View: on Bookshelves
Mac :techie-reference:
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

I find a cat running for the presidency very hilarious and this has piqued my interest to read this book.
Nice review.
jori al jiran
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jori al jiran »

It was a lovely book, I enjoyed it I find it interesting and intriguing and sparks a kids imagination

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”