Thoughts on "Four" by Veronica Roth?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
brooklynegan
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooklynegan.html

Thoughts on "Four" by Veronica Roth?

Post by brooklynegan »

This is a collection of chapters to do with the Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth in Four's point of view instead of Tris'. I actually thought this was actually better than reading the trilogy, even though I hated reading from Fours' point of view in Allegiant I found this very exciting and intriguing to read. What did everyone else think about it?
alice2015
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by alice2015 »

I actually like "Four" because I always wanted to know what his side of the story, what his feelings and thoughts are. I love his strength and strong and powerful character. He is ever inspiring to young adults to stand for himself and be indecent. Despite the fact that he is still very respeful towards his parent, , he is still very positive towards the and grow up to be a very good model. I love Four.
Book Reviewer Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-reviewer-sarah.html

Post by Book Reviewer Sarah »

I thought that "Four" by Veronica Roth was a great read! When reading Divergent, I fell in love with Tobias! I wasn't as in love with him in Insurgent and Allegiant though... I found him very whiny? But reading "Four" was a wonderful experience! It was really awesome to see what he went through during his years as a Dauntless initiate and the way his father abused him! All in all, a great read! Glad you enjoyed it as well!
alice2015
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by alice2015 »

alice2015 wrote:I actually like "Four" because I always wanted to know what his side of the story, what his feelings and thoughts are. I love his strength and strong and powerful character. He is very inspiring to young adults who stand for himself. Despite the fact that he is still very respeful towards his parents, he is still very positive towards others and the people he love. He grew up to be a very good role model. His friends respected him with great honors. I love Four.
_jessie
Currently Reading: East of Eden
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessie.html

Post by _jessie »

"Four" was very enjoyable. I loved that I got to know about Tobias' background and his perspective on things as an initiate and a trainer. I felt that it helped get to fully understand his character and his morals. He is strong-willd, tough, and independent as a person but just like anyone else he has weaknesses. The author, Veronica Roth, did a great job at developing his character throughout the series and continued through this book.
tigris12519
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigris12519.html

Post by tigris12519 »

Four was another great addition to the Divergent series. I enjoyed it as much as the other books. I just wish it could've been a little longer.
Agentmatty007

Post by Agentmatty007 »

Although I really enjoyed this series, I though four was written to earn an extra buck. I feel like there should have been more substance to a novel titled after one of the main characters in the series instead of little snippets.
eprater
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eprater.html

Post by eprater »

I enjoyed reading the book "Four" by Veronica Roth because it provided a different viewpoint than the original series did. I started developing more empathy for Four, realizing how much he had been through. When the original series ended, I was very upset my journey with the characters was over, so I was thrilled when this book came out.
I think the book could of been a little longer, and I wish that the author would of included more events before Tris came into his life. But maybe that is just because I never wanted the series to end. ;)
Four is an amazing character, because even though on the outside he looks strong, and confident, he has weaknesses just like everybody else. I think this book gave the readers a perspective that was so valuable for the character development in the original series. Even though I didn't actual enjoy the formatting of this book, the little snippets of his life that the Veronica Roth did give us made me enjoy Four's character even more.
Mdoucet1086
Currently Reading: Wonder Woman
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mdoucet1086.html
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mdoucet1086 »

This book redeemed him from ( what I felt) was his terrible change in character in Alligent. This is the strong Four that I love, it would have been nice to see some of these things earlier in the series though, maybe then Alligebt wouldn't have felt like a character change.
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
kaylamac
Currently Reading: Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylamac.html

Post by kaylamac »

I read the Divergent trilogy, have kept up with the movies and had no idea that "Four" existed! So, thank you for creating this forum! Now I just have to go find it.
Rebecca79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca79.html

Post by Rebecca79 »

To start with in Divergent, I thought Four was a bit creepy, especially when he just kept appearing wherever Tris was, capture the flag, saving Tris and the funeral. [This is a hard thing to talk about without giving spoilers, though I think even reading basic things about Four sort of spoils Divergent. I nean, for anyone who reads this forum without having read the book the whole identity storyline will be totally destroyed.] However, I grew to like him. I really enjoyed Four. I also think it was interesting from a writing point of view, to see how his back story pieced together and how his telling of certain key Divergent scenes contrasts with Tris's.
akweaver13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akweaver13.html

Post by akweaver13 »

I definitely understand why Veronica Roth started to use Tobais' perspective in the last book. However, it threw me off a bit. I felt in continuance with the series it was a little out of place. I first didn't even realize it, until a few paragraphs into his first chapter and the thoughts did make sense or sound like Tris. Going back and realizing it was his perspective truly threw me for a loop.

Like I said; understand why she did it. Was interesting. I just felt it didn't fit as nicely in the series as I would have liked.
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

As an overall fan of the series, I really enjoyed the addition of Four. It was nice to read scenes from Tobias’ perspective. And from a writer point of view, I thought it was interesting that Veronica Roth had originally started writing from his point of view. It was a bit jarring when the perspectives changed in Allegiant after only reading from Tris, but I think I would’ve enjoyed it more if I had read Four directly after Divergent instead of after finishing the original trilogy.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”