Review of Quest of the Staff and the Sword

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of Quest of the Staff and the Sword

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Quest of the Staff and the Sword" by T. K. Kohl.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After an earthquake exposes a building that seems hidden underground, a reputable archaeologist, Dr. Henry Jedidah, and his estranged daughter, Elizabeth, are employed to investigate the ancient site. As they embark on the mission, the man bankrolling the project, Luke Nachash, is overly interested in what they would find, so much so that it seems he already knows what it would be and is ready to kill for it.

When the Jedidahs and their team finally find artifacts in the mysterious building, Dr. Jedidah ignores warnings and goes after a magical sphere described in them. As a result of this move, and with Luke lurking around, all hell breaks loose. The Jedidahs must find the "appointed one" to stop the world's imminent doom before it's too late.

Quest of the Staff and the Sword by T. K. Kohl is an epic fantasy novel, and this one is the first installment in the series. The author uses the third-person point of view to tell this story, which helps readers to be aware of events happening simultaneously. The story begins with what seems like two separate storylines that eventually converge to bring the thrill readers would love. What I enjoyed most about the book was the aura of suspense this style produced because I kept anticipating the happenings that would ensue when the two separate groups of characters eventually meet.

Furthermore, I like the story's plot, and the mix of supernatural elements in the story would delight young adults. The characters are also unique and life-like, and through the events in the book, the author subtly presents some morals to learn from the characters' actions. The dialogues are also satisfactory, as they appear natural and help the reader to empathize with the characters. The characterization is commendable, and I like that the author provides backstories for the main characters. There are also bits of humor in the narrations that make the story more exciting to read.

Nevertheless, I didn't enjoy the author's writing style because it appeared choppy most of the time. For example, a passage from the book reads: "She walked to the cliff edge. She stared at the waterfall. She watched the sun fall below the horizon in the west. She looked at John. She lay back and fell asleep." Monotonous sentences like those took the life out of the writing and detracted from the flow of the story. Unfortunately, it is what I dislike most about the novel.

Another aspect of the book I didn't enjoy was how the author wasted time describing events that didn't add any value to the story. The story started with a fascinating vibe that I wish was maintained till the end. More so, the ending of the story was disappointing for me. Even though I expected a cliffhanger ending since this title is only the first in a series, the end was below my expectations. And I can't say much about that lest I spoil the book for you.

In conclusion, I am rating this book two out of four stars. The choppy writing style and uninspiring end are jointly responsible for the rating; however, the publication doesn't deserve anything lower, as it also has strong points in its favor. It is also professionally edited and contains only a few errors. I recommend the book to young adults who want to follow an epic fantasy story with a strong protagonist, especially if they don't mind reading about people dying gruesomely and finding profane words in books.

Quest of the Staff and the Sword
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

The choppy writing style and uninspiring end are jointly responsible for the rating; however, the publication doesn't deserve anything lower, as it also has strong points in its favor.
You've justified your rating very clearly. It's a shame the book's appeal is reduced by the problems you have explained, as the story line seemed to have good potential. Thanks for your well considered review Saint Bruno, I admire how you have expressed your opinion.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Mrs D O wrote: 05 Aug 2022, 20:45
The choppy writing style and uninspiring end are jointly responsible for the rating; however, the publication doesn't deserve anything lower, as it also has strong points in its favor.
You've justified your rating very clearly. It's a shame the book's appeal is reduced by the problems you have explained, as the story line seemed to have good potential. Thanks for your well considered review Saint Bruno, I admire how you have expressed your opinion.
I really do appreciate your comment. Thank you for stopping by.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

It still sounds like a decent story despite all the negatives you mentioned.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

Whoa! I would doze off from such choppy sentences. Epic fantasy distinguishes itself in that it is about the complicated sentences.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Oh My - those monotonous sentences would have gotten to me as well. I appreciate your honesty.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I hope the author takes your criticisms constructively and fixes the problem areas. Those monotonous sentences would definitely have bothered me as well. Thanks for an honest and well-written review!
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruthwriter »

Books about research sound great to me. I believe the writer has something great to pass on to the reader. good review.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I like the basic premise of this fantasy novel, especially the idea of finding a building hidden in the earth that gets exposed following an earthquake. Too bad the author's writing style is not very smooth. I wouldn't have liked that either.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

There are alot of insights in this book that every reader should go for. I love your creative writing, it is top-notch. Fantastic review.
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

The fact that this book got a low rating from you has discouraged me from checking it out. Thank you for your review by the way.
Riya Sarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riya-sarkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Riya Sarkar »

When I read the book blurb, I was truly hoping that this would turn out to be a good read. I am an absolute lover of epic fantasy but alas, fantasy books are only as good as their writers are. Thanks for saving my time. If I had not read your review, I would definitely have picked up this book.
Radhika Nair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-nair.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Radhika Nair »

The point about the choppy sentences feels painful. I hope the entire book wasn't quite so brusque. But as a story it seems like a promising beginning for a series. I recently read a slow burn series whose first installment also seemed to waste time meandering, but it got much better and the scattered threads came together beautifully, so I might take my chances with this book. Thank you for your review!
Zeph Dim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeph-dim.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Zeph Dim »

Indeed the storyline would have produced an epic novel. Unfortunately according to the review the writing style took the winds of the sail.
I applaud the author for his imagination. I hope he does better story telling in the sequel.
Zeph Dim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeph-dim.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Zeph Dim »

Indeed the storyline would have produced an epic novel. Unfortunately according to the review the writing style took the winds of the sail.
I applaud the author for his imagination. I hope he does better story telling in the sequel.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”