Review of Quest of the Staff and the Sword III

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Review of Quest of the Staff and the Sword III

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Quest of the Staff and the Sword III" by T. K. Kohl.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Quest of the Staff and the Sword III, T. K. Kohl tells a story about the emergence of the dark kingdom and the kingdom of light, which was dubbed Quoin Ataraxis. The darkness led by the dark lord, Luke Nachash, was spreading across the world of man. Luke made himself a god and went around forcing all and sundry to worship him. He tore down churches, synagogues, and mosques and planted statues of himself. It did not just end there; he gave out alcohol and narcotics to the people and even children to keep them intoxicated and make them do his will without complaints. He wanted to rule over the world and became so desperate that he created a deadly disease that ravaged the world and then released an antidote making everyone think he was their saviour—all except one.

John Elias was also known as the hooded stranger. He was trained by The Master while living with a physical foster family. He was part of The Eight, whose mission was to save those who chose light as The Master had given the world the opportunity to choose between light and darkness. Of course, many would make choices that would lead to their destruction. John, his wife Elizabeth, and a group of knights were burdened with the task of bringing light to the people. Would this be possible when Luke was taking over the world? Read this exciting book to find out.

I love the storyline of this book. It seemed very original and away from the norm. It did not contain cliché parts which I was thankful for. The writer's division of the story made up for a lot. The readers would find it suspenseful and, of course, as is with every interesting story, would want more. The introduction of each character was beautiful in the sense that you could tell where and when each of the characters emerged. The writer avoided any unnecessary characters that would bore the reader as each of the characters had a valid role to play in the story. I found just one error in the book, showing that it was professionally edited.

I did not quite like the inclusion of drug-induced child sex, which was added when explaining the rule of Luke Nachash. The scenes containing that should have been minimised a bit. Furthermore, I feel some of the events should have been better explained, like the return of John Elias to Quoin Ataraxis. Some events seemed a bit rushed, like the joining of Tenzin and Caroline and that of Tom and Khalida. These events should have been given better development.

I would give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Inasmuch as it is an interesting read, it still contained loopholes which I pointed out in the previous paragraph, and that, alongside the layout of the story, is the reason for the deducted star.

I would recommend this to those who love mythical and magical storylines. Quest of the Staff and the Sword III by T. K. Kohl contained a lot of that, and they would have a field day reading this book. It also had bits of religious lores mildly included in some parts of the book. Anyone with an interest in that should also get to read this book.

Quest of the Staff and the Sword III
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

The story indeed sound original and intriguing. But I am not sure I would enjoy this because of the hard names. I would have a hard time pronouncing them.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

The introduction of each character was beautiful in the sense that you could tell where and when each of the characters emerged.
Introducing characters with this type of clarity would be important in an epic fantasy that has a lot of unfamiliar beings, places, and situations.
realebogalesley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by realebogalesley »

It's an interesting,mind blowing story in a Sense that one can picture the activities..but I had a problem with pronouncing the names they really have me had time
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

I love magical stories. From your review, this book looks very interesting and intriguing. I especially love how you put out your summary. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”