Review of a Fox Kit's Tale

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Review of a Fox Kit's Tale

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "a Fox Kit's Tale" by Nadine Lambert.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As the snow begins to fall and the temperature plummets, Nadine Lambert discovers she has new neighbors. Now, these aren’t the type of neighbors one would invite over for tea; they are best to be acknowledged from afar. A family of foxes have taken up residence beneath a nearby shed and have quickly transformed it into a den to keep their kit safe.

Nadine is hesitant at first and plans to block off the shed. But after observing the panicked father, her heart softens, and she decides against it. So instead, she spends the next few months discerning the family of three and photographing their lives as (kit) parents.

A Fox Kit’s Tale by Nadine Lambert is a non-fiction book intended for young adult readers to learn about the first few months of a kit’s life. The delightful book is told from the first-person perspective, following the kit as it learns about its place in the family, hiding, hunting, and thriving.

The author knew her audience when penning this story. She gave the kit an endearing personality that was adorably lovable with just the right amount of sass and mischievousness. This personality would undoubtedly resonate with young adults who are learning and evolving and occasionally challenge their parents’ rules. One of my favorite parts was when the kit’s parents were away hunting, and the kit made the unfortunate choice to venture out without them. Boy, did it learn its lesson!

In addition to the lovely narrative, I gleaned many exciting facts about living in the wild. For example, the author wrote about how the kit displays submission and how the dad fox asserted his dominance. Further, the information about caching was intriguing.

Another favorite of mine was the beautiful photographs captured by the author. These included pictures of each member of the fox family doing various things like hunting, play-fighting, and standing guard. The breathtaking shots showed the richness of reds in the fox’s coat and the hypnotizing amber-colored eyes that each family member shared.

There was nothing to dislike about the story, and I would love to read more about wildlife from this author. The writing flowed brilliantly and was exceptionally edited— I didn’t find a single error! That said, I am happy to give it a rating of four out of four stars for its fury and lovable main character, educating me about life in the wild, and the fantastic candid photographs.

I would recommend A Fox Kit’s Tale to younger readers who are passionate about animals, particularly wildlife. This book would be perfect for readers who feel overwhelmed by pages heavy with text because it is easy to read and comes with beautiful snapshots.

a Fox Kit's Tale
View: on Bookshelves
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

New neighbors? And they are not even what you think they should be.
I love this book already.
Great review.
Rick Crecraft
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rick Crecraft »

Hi, Stephanie, I enjoyed reading your comprehensive, positive review on ' FoxKit's Tale'. I think you'll love my semi-autobiographical, self-illustrated, educational Adventure for all ages: ' The Monarch of Tall Pines Pool' ( on Amazon) I would be honored if you were to read & review it!
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

Wow, this sounds great. I think it could be used as an entertaining educational book for youngsters and adults as well. Great review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”