Review of Nina's Salvation for Joey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Nina's Salvation for Joey

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nina's Salvation for Joey" by Steven Prevosto.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes we don't know what we will get from a decision until the consequences stare us in the face. Nina's Salvation for Joey is a fictional book about hope and the possibility of change with the required effort. Steven Prevosto spins a strong message using the story of Joey on his path to salvation.

Joey Maks, a young adult of 21, was coming out from a traumatic childhood and drug withdrawal problem. Things started falling apart in his life — from his band, which he sacrificed to go to college, to the break up with the love of his life at a crucial time (she left him). He always knew he could be at peace in one place — his grandma's place. Heading there to seek solace from his demons, what would he find in the quiet city of Baltimore in 1974?

The plot is relatively straightforward. The book is also a short read. It keeps you in the present while providing the necessary backstory to understand Joey's personality. The humor is lighthearted and cynical. Joey is the primary source of humor, and it fits him and what he has been through.

A heartwarming observation was the relationship between Joey and Nina, his grandma. Everyone who enjoyed a good relationship with their grandparents would relate to it. It brought back those childhood memories of an overfilled stomach and the warmth of their presence. She was a major linchpin in the story, trying to get Joey out of despair. Coincidentally, she needed him as much as he needed her. Old age and its attributes were taking their toll; she didn't want to be alone at those times. I enjoyed their mutually beneficial relationship.

Sexism was showcased as seen during the performance of Pebbles, a band. It was pretty accurate as a situation of that period, where ladies in a band would rather be seen dancing in a skirt by the men. Though not mainstream in our day and age, it could still be seen in various subtle forms. A hilarious encounter happened when Joey had to dress like a girl. You should read to know why.

The book had two messages I resonated with — the loneliness of old age and the flexibility of human behavior. I enjoyed the author's writing style and the absence of fillers. The editing was good, with only a few errors, making for a smooth read. There was nothing to dislike. Therefore, I would rate Nina's Salvation for Joey 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to teens and young adults; they would see a part of themselves in Joey, as I did.

Nina's Salvation for Joey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Junior Gesuka 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Junior Gesuka 1 »

The humor is lighthearted and cynical. Joey is the primary source of humor, and it fits him and what he has been through. So interesting!
Austin Debby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-austin-debby.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Austin Debby »

I didn't have a great relationship with my grannies because one always thought that they were from another generation. It's amazing to know that Joey had that. Great review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”