Review of Kirakee's Wolf Pack, Howl Upon the Moon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Review of Kirakee's Wolf Pack, Howl Upon the Moon

Post by wmeki510 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kirakee's Wolf Pack, Howl Upon the Moon" by KC Morcom.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A prophecy is delivered. A certain girl called Kirakee in the land of Morakee is to become the leader of the wolf pack when she grows up. She is destined to unite the wolves from different territories and make life easier for everyone. This prophecy does not go down well with Kirakee's aunt and step-sister, Morana. Moreover, Kirakee's mother's sister is determined to stop anything good from coming the way of her sister and her children. Although Kirakee's mother has three children, Kirakee is marked for destruction. Kirakee's enemies are determined to frustrate her life and break her spirit so she will not develop the strong mind and mental energy required to carry out her mission. Kirakee's mother is not there to support her. She has been declared missing for a long time. Kirakee must be prepared to face life's most difficult challenges. She must find a way to rise again after each fall.

Kirakee's Wolf Pack (Howl Upon the Moon) is written by KC Morcom. The author explored some practical lessons of life in this novel. The saying, "We need one another to survive," was thoroughly explored in the novel. Kirakee, though a wolf, made friends with animals of different species. She established friendships with Sheena and Tarkin (cats) and Tick Tock (an owl). Kirakee helped them at various points in their needs. They also helped Kirakee at her points of need. When we apply this to human society, the human race will surely build a more livable and prosperous society devoid of discrimination, victimization, terrorism, and wars.

I admired many things in this novel. It is a well-illustrated fantasy/mystery novel. The pictures captured accurately the various narratives and events they set out to illustrate. I couldn't remember how many times I cried and rejoiced with Kirakee.

In addition, I loved the efforts Morcom made to initiate some personal and social reformations through this novel. Would-be readers will come across where Kirakee set out to provide shelter and food to abandoned, weak, sick, and hungry wolves, even when the elders in the various territories of the wolf pack refused to support her. It was from this kind gesture that the title of this novel, Kirakee's Wolf Pack (Howl Upon the Moon) was derived. Kirakee was still suffering from sabotage at the hands of her enemies when she embarked on this mission. The message is simple: there are thousands of ways to perform little deeds of kindness, and we do not have to wait till we become rich and well-connected before we start doing so.

Furthermore, the character development was a huge success. There was Kirakee, the main character, with her strengths and weaknesses. There was Morana, the envious rival of Kirakee, with her ability to easily influence and manipulate most of the wolves against Kirakee. There was Saber, the bully, and his ability to gather allies that would help him attack Kirakee and other unsuspecting victims.

The word choices made in this novel were simple. The story was written in the present tense. It gave the story a skin of "freshness." The novel was full of suspense. The conflicts were resolved satisfactorily. All my questions were answered at the end of the novel.

Unfortunately, I found more than ten grammar errors in this novel. However, I have to note that those errors were minor. They didn't impair my reading. I had a great time reading this novel.

I rate this novel 3 out of 4 stars. I had to deduct a star from the rating because I discovered over ten grammar errors in the novel. I have nothing else to complain about in this novel. I can't rate it anything lower since I drew a lot of insight from it.

Young adult readers will enjoy Kirakee's Wolf Pack (Howl Upon the Moon). They will learn invaluable lessons that will help them become more compassionate, more caring, and more dedicated to whatever they do. They will learn the values of perseverance and forgiveness. Older readers will also have a great time reading this novel. If you enjoy animal stories, this is one of the right novels to consider reading.

Kirakee's Wolf Pack, Howl Upon the Moon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This novel is a bit complicated for me. I prefer my reading to be solely entertaining. Still, it seems as if this work is filled with life lessons, the fact that a little kindness goes a long way is not the least of them. Illustrations are always a plus.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

Being an adult book, I thought it was for children due to the names used. I however love the plot of this book.
Victoria Ukamaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

Of all the people that will be the antagonist of Kirakee's destiny why must it be family? I would like to find out how this went down. I hope Kirakee's aunt does not succeed.

I enjoyed reading this review.
Kendrixxavier18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendrixxavier18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Kendrixxavier18 »

I love this book's title. It sounds like a movie while reading your review. Kirakee is quite a major character and the role played was not an easy one. A lot of lessons to be learnt from this book. Looking forward to reading this book.
Fams Pee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fams-pee.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Fams Pee »

Seeing a girl being the leader of a wolf pack, I thought it is a children's book but it seems it isn't so. What attracts my attention is the issue of Kirakee's mother's sister who is determined to stop anything good coming from her. I hope Kirakee can fulfill her desires and overcome all her enemies. Thanks for the review.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the cover page. For the story, it has a good fictional plot, one that would invite almost every reader. As I've not read this book yet, I can only wonder how it all goes down and if Kirakee gets what she deserves. Good review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”