Review of Sole Silence

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of Sole Silence

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sole Silence" by I.M.Nameless.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When you finish a book and are left with this urge to reread and re-experience it, you know you have read a good book. Sole Silence ticks all the boxes of what a novel should be and delivers full enjoyment.

Tylor Reef, a boy of seventeen who hated watching TV because of what it had done to his family, was going through the drag of high school. He was pretty much a loner. He found respite in writing poetry online and solace in nature. Entanglement with the resident bully would give him his first real friend in school, but it came with unforeseen circumstances. What chain of reaction would his actions trigger? Would he be able to save his family for good from the zombie-like effect of TV on them?

The first thing that caught my attention was the author's name — I.M.Nameless. I'd seen many pseudonyms, but I found this my favorite so far. It projected a sense of mystery and created intrigue. Coupled with the book's title, it was a given that the story would be unusual. I knew I was in for a ride from the first few pages. Surprisingly, the plot was as simple as a plot could be. However, it added a sense of beauty and clarity different from what I expected.

There were two protagonists, Tylor and Jode. Hence, there was a need for two viewpoints. Thankfully, switching POVs was appropriately done; it never broke immersion. Tylor was quirky with his unique eccentricities, which I found humorous. Jode was the classic character that hid who he was for social standing. On the side, Jode's elder brother, Jay, provided comic relief; I always looked forward to his appearance.

The book bears a strong message about the influence of technology on quality family times. The author's depiction of our staring at screens constantly and numb behaviors during concerts leaves nothing for the imagination because it's our present reality. When you are against the norms, you become a "weirdo." As with everything in life, it requires balance.

I loved how everything connected in the end. More so, I loved how the author dropped snippets of where the story was headed as the story went on. The poetry perfectly summed up the whole story. The poems were thought-provoking, and this aspect was my favorite.

High school has always been a crucible, making or breaking one's psyche, and Sole Silence takes one back to that period. The author's writing style is appealing, and there are no fillers. The book is professionally edited; there are only a few errors. There's nothing to dislike. Therefore, a rating of 4 out of 4 stars is well deserved. I recommend it to lovers of books with young protagonists. Poetry enthusiasts will also have a good time with it.

Sole Silence
View: on Bookshelves
Radhika Nair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-nair.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Radhika Nair »

I love reading reviews that tell about the reviewer's experience with the book. You had me from the very first sentence, which is how I feel about some of my favourite books. This seems like a great read. Thank you for your deliciously tempting review!
Israel10
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

Sole Silence ticks all the boxes of what a novel should be and delivers full enjoyment. Great review and can't wait to get my hands on this book.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”