Review of The Miracle of Ramadan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Review of The Miracle of Ramadan

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Miracle of Ramadan" by Wassim Hijazi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Miracle of Ramadan, by Wassim Hijazi, is a story about Karim Malik, a shoe manufacturer living ‘long ago, in a faraway land.’ (Page 7) His home and business are in Al Tawbah, a small village recovering from the ravages of war. Karim’s shoe factory is doing well. He is a wealthy man. Unfortunately, he has lost something precious on the way to making his fortune. Karim has lost his faith in God and become cold and uncaring. He has abandoned those he once loved. They have not forgotten him, however, and they pray that he will rediscover the person he once was.

On the evening before Eid, the ghost of Karim’s former business partner arrives to tell him that he will be visited by three angels that night. The Angels of Ramadan of the Past, Present and Future show Karim the state of his life and his likely future. Will their intervention be enough to open his eyes and inspire him to change his ways? Has it come too late to save his soul?

This is a thoroughly enjoyable story that I finished in one sitting. Many of you reading the short synopsis above may think it sounds familiar. You’re not mistaken. This story is a reworking of Charles Dickens’ classic tale, A Christmas Carol. The author has, in my opinion, retained the charm of the original while giving it a new slant. The plotline and characters are largely the same, but the author has recast it as an Islamic morality tale. So, the story unfolds on the last day of Ramadan, just before Eid, and features quotations from the Quran.

The author’s major achievement is that he has written a story that anyone can appreciate. You certainly don’t have to be a Muslim to be swept along by the story, any more than you have to be a Christian to enjoy the original. The spiritual journey that Karim makes is a universal one that readers of different faiths will recognise, while those not religiously inclined will warm to the underlying humanity of the tale and its learning moments.

There is nothing at all to dislike about this book. It’s an uplifting tale that is well written and attractively presented.

I am awarding this book three out of four stars, deducting one star only because this is not an original story. The author has taken an old tale and given it new energy, and he has done it with genuine creativity. The book has been professionally edited; I found only one minor error. I recommend it to children and adults alike regardless of their religious beliefs.

The Miracle of Ramadan
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am always interested in learning things that are not as I have always known them. This story is one of those things. I have always been a fan of “A Christmas Carol” and didn’t find it frightening like a lot of my friends. I am curious to find out about this one.
Nasifa Jabeen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Nasifa Jabeen »

I really liked this very good concept.
Many people are surprised to see such dreams,
get a chance to improve your life.
I relly like the story 'THE MIRACLE OF RAMADAN'.
I am always interested in learning things that are not as I have always known them.
I am curious to find out about this one.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

I hope this book sounds as interesting as your review.
Chinemezu Okafor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

The storyline of this book seems interesting. I will check it out when I am less busy. Thank you for your review.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I'm interested to read this book, but I didn't like the idea of using the same plot as in a Christmas Carol. Thanks for your nice review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”