Review of Fog

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Review of Fog

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fog" by Audeep Cariens.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fog, by Audeep Cariens, is set many years into the future. The world is divided by a border of toxic fog. On one side, people of colour struggle for survival in a hostile environment in which there are no luxuries and few material comforts. They all speak the same language and share the same culture, but a legend that has been passed down the generations speaks of a long-forgotten past, one where there were different peoples with different languages and customs. The legend also says that on the other side of the border there are people ‘white as light’ (page 19) with the ability to banish the fog and put the world back together again.

Abloh is a young man of colour who has stopped believing the legend. He has seen too much death and has too many responsibilities to indulge such fantasies. On a routine ore-hunting mission inside the fog, he gets separated from his group. Lost in the impenetrable gloom, he meets Kaia, a wealthy young woman from the white side of the border who is similarly lost. Together, they must find a way to safety. They must also find a way to accommodate their differences and reconcile their divided histories. Where should they head to find safety? Is either side of the border safe enough for both?

This is a gripping story that holds the reader’s attention from the very start. I liked how the author alternates the first-person narrative between Abloh and Kaia, each taking a chapter in turn to advance the story. The tale itself is sophisticated and operates on different levels. It has elements of a rite of passage story in which two young people are uprooted from their normal environment, tested in unfamiliar and dangerous circumstances, and experience the first stirrings of romantic attraction.

On a different level, the story prompts the reader to reflect on the issues of division and strife that bedevil the modern world, particularly those issues that have racism, sectarianism, and the mistreatment of minorities at their core. There is also a final twist in the story that leads the reader to consider other issues, but I’d have to break the ‘no spoilers’ rule to discuss that here!

If I have one criticism to make, it is that the author doesn’t seem to have used the services of a professional editor or proofreader. As a result, there are quite a few grammatical mistakes and typos scattered across the text. These didn’t spoil my enjoyment of the story, but a book is always better without them.

This is a very good book that I am happy to recommend to other readers. I am giving it three out of four stars, deducting one star on account of the number of errors I came across while reading it. The book is suitable for teenagers and adults who like dystopian tales of the future that also make the reader think about contested issues in contemporary society.

Fog
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rina Neiman
Currently Reading: Before They Are Hanged
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rina-neiman.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Rina Neiman »

As someone who really likes the dystopian genre, your review really hyped me up about this book. I think race and class issues are always interesting topics to delve into, and it sound like it is done thoughtfully in this case.

Thank you for the detailed review :)
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruthwriter »

The story is very captivating.i will read it to know how fog ends his journey with kaia.good review
Bri Denzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-denzel.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Bri Denzel »

I'm not a huge fan of dystopian tales, so I will pass on this one, but I must commend your effort with delivering such a good review.
Okorji98
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

This is a gripping story that holds the reader’s attention from the very start. I liked how the author alternates the first-person narrative between Abloh and Kaia, each taking a chapter in turn to advance the story. Great review.
Duwire Banda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duwire-banda.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Duwire Banda »

Being a fan of sci-fi books about the future are my obsession. I mus get this book.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

The premise of this book is very intriguing. The idea of a line of fog dividing the world is a great setup for a captivating story. I also love the cover. Great review.
it is what it is ....
Dayna Frank
Favorite Book: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Currently Reading: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayna-frank.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Dayna Frank »

Great review! The cover photo is what brought me to read this review. I am glad I read this now! Seems like an intriguing book. Job well-done.
Sarah tianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tianna.html
Latest Review: Reverse Chronic Kidney Disease by Yaw A. Boateng

Post by Sarah tianna »

This story is really intriguing and captivating. I know it's difficult times being a young adult, this is the phase where your strength is tested. I look forward to reading this book. Nice review.
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

I enjoyed the author's use of first-person narratives from Abloh and Kaia. This is an engrossing story that immediately grabs the reader's attention. 

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”