Review of The Adventures of Barry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Judy_Akha
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-akha.html
Latest Review: The Dragon Who Would Be King by Anne Peters

Review of The Adventures of Barry

Post by Judy_Akha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures of Barry" by Jean Jafari.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Adventures of Barry by Jean Jafari is a fun novel for kids that offers moral teachings as well as thrilling adventures. The main character is a 14-year-old boy named Barry, who believes it's time to grow up and be independent, so first and foremost, he needs a job. Soon, Barry learns that communicating with people and finding a job is not as simple as he anticipated. Sad and tired, Barry sits near the fountain, where he meets a strange lady who promises him a job. Mrs. Marilyn has a lot of dogs, but behind this fact, there is a huge secret that the main character will have to unravel.

The illustrations in the book are the first thing I noticed. It will easily capture the attention of any child due to its simple yet ingenious design and well-chosen colors. The font size is adequate, but given that the primary audience is youngsters, I believe a larger font would be preferable. Another thing I enjoyed about this book is that it is not simply for enjoyment. The main character teaches kids to take the first steps toward independence and not to give up if they fail to accomplish their goals. Also, bravery is the main feature of Barry, who followed the witch to save his parents.

Honestly, I can't think of anything I didn't like about this book. The narration is smooth, not overly drawn out, and can be read in a single breath. Character growth is also visible; at the start of the novel, Barry is an inexperienced child who learns to conquer his fears and fight for the people he cares about.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I think The Adventures of Barry has all the elements that a children's book needs: quality and well-chosen illustrations, adventures, moral lessons, and character growth. I really enjoyed how the author considered things like the character's name and the symbolic significance behind it. You should also read the book twice since there is a secret hint at the end that will give the narrative a fresh twist. This is a really well-edited book since I noticed two minor errors.

Although Jesus is mentioned at the end of the story, based on the content, I believe this will not cause any inconvenience for individuals of any faith or belief. I definitely recommend this book to young readers; I believe they will enjoy reading about Barry's experiences while learning essential information.

The Adventures of Barry
View: on Bookshelves
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

What a great book. I love adventures books alot. I enjoyed your review I must give a try. Great review.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

For sometime I thought the book was about Peter pan because of the cover. But children books that teach reasonable morals? I'm so in
Great review
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Illustrations are a must and a big part of kid' stories. This book helps kids understand that being an adult is not an easy job and it takes time and patience to be a good adult. I'd love to see what other morals there are in this book and how the book wraps up. Nice review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I liked your comment about being able to read in a single breath. Because I read to children a lot, this is very meaningful to me. I have never heard anyone mention it before. Good Job!
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Adulthood isn't an easy things especially if you are not born with a silver soon.i I can relate with Bernie's Story and love how the author made the book flowed. Wonderful review Welldone!!!
Brain Jax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brain-jax.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Brain Jax »

From your review, this book sounds like an interesting book for kids with lessons. I love the lessons of persistence and bravery. This attributes are what kids need to build themselves on.
Judy_Akha

Post by Judy_Akha »

Nwaka Chukwuemeka wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 07:45 What a great book. I love adventures books alot. I enjoyed your review I must give a try. Great review.
Thanks for stopping by. :tiphat:
Judy_Akha

Post by Judy_Akha »

Covenant M Olusegun wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 12:26 For sometime I thought the book was about Peter pan because of the cover. But children books that teach reasonable morals? I'm so in
Great review
I got the same feeling about the cover. Thanks for commenting.
Judy_Akha

Post by Judy_Akha »

Chimereucheya Okoroafo wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 14:12 Illustrations are a must and a big part of kid' stories. This book helps kids understand that being an adult is not an easy job and it takes time and patience to be a good adult. I'd love to see what other morals there are in this book and how the book wraps up. Nice review.
Totally agree with you. Thanks for stopping by.
Judy_Akha

Post by Judy_Akha »

diana lowery wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 16:07 I liked your comment about being able to read in a single breath. Because I read to children a lot, this is very meaningful to me. I have never heard anyone mention it before. Good Job!
Thanks for nice words and commenting. :tiphat:
Judy_Akha

Post by Judy_Akha »

Oyedeji Funmilayo wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 23:53 Adulthood isn't an easy things especially if you are not born with a silver soon.i I can relate with Bernie's Story and love how the author made the book flowed. Wonderful review Welldone!!!
Yeah, life is definitely hard and Barry is relatable to reader. Thanks for commenting. :techie-studyingbrown:
Bri Denzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-denzel.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Bri Denzel »

Kids will learn from the moral teachings and enjoy the thrill of the adventure. Great review.
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

I love the Barry character, having an adventurous life. This book is really awesome for kids.
Great review.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

I like Barry's character and his disposition to life. Since it is for kids, the illustrations would be a good sensation for them while reading this book.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”