Review of aishling

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Review of aishling

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "aishling" by John R Morrow.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Aishling by John R. Morrow is the intriguing story of Stephanie, a young, smart girl that finds herself in Mississippi following the transfer of her father, a reverend, to the place. Incidentally, she meets and becomes best friends with Ay'isha, a black girl. This uncommon friendship between a black and white girl propels this story to the end. Together, the two girls, with the immense help of Douglas, fight to end racism in Clarkstown and establish an equal society. It is of importance to note that although this is a fictional book, the heart-wrenching story of racism and inequality it tells is not. For years, black people in America suffered subjugation and pain.

There are so many positive aspects to this work. It was written without many errors. The scenes were wonderfully written, which makes the reader feel like he or she is there witnessing it. This is very important in fiction. The intentional use of faulty English used by black Americans then was also wonderfully descriptive.

Another positive aspect of the book was the fact that the author intertwined fiction with history. Readers will encounter names like Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, and other men that played a huge role in the history of the United States of America.

The book had many wonderful themes like racism, parenthood, subjugation, freedom, and even the poor reporting by the press in Clarkstown showed the important role the press has to play in effecting change. The reports of the press affect the way people view situations in a large way, and I learned that from this book. Stephanie and Ay'isha's efforts also go a long way to show age should not be a barrier to effecting change in our society today. In addition, that change should also begin with us. Isabel's frequent unavailability for her children and her initial abandonment of her family is a lesson on bad parenting as well.

Another positive aspect of this book was the fact that it was written in simple and comprehensive English, which will enable readers to read without interruptions to look up words. I only found an error in this book. This implied that the book was professionally edited.

The book had no negative aspect at all, and there was no mention of vulgar words at all. Therefore I rate the book four out of four stars because I consider it a wonderful work of literature filled with information about racism. I recommend it to lovers of history and good books.

aishling
View: on Bookshelves
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

Stephanie is my daughters name and I love that both of them have the same traits. What happened with Stephanie and Ayi'esha? I hope to know how their friendship blossomed. Thanks for your splendid review.
Bri Denzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-denzel.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Bri Denzel »

The story of a young, smart girl that finds herself in Mississippi following the transfer of her father, a reverend, to the place shouldn't be a bore. I'll check this out.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”