Review of Briggleton's Choir

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 757
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Review of Briggleton's Choir

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Briggleton's Choir" by Kelsie Deschenes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Briggleton's Choir by Kelsie Deschenes is a historical-fiction story for young adults. Two young boys meet at an all-boys boarding school. One is Alfonso, whose father is General Adelric, who makes him hold the flag while he orders the massacre of a wagonload of Jews. Alfonso questions his father about how his actions are different from the bullying that got him expelled from school, and his father tells him the difference is because the people he tortured and killed were Jews. At the boarding school, Alfonso and his friends, Charles and Porter, encounter a new student named Jacob, who happens to be a Jew that Headmaster Briggleton allowed into the boarding school. Alfonso and Jacob both want the lead role in the school choir, but Alfonso has difficulty putting his heart and soul into singing religious songs because he does not believe in God. Who will win the leading role in the school choir? Why was it okay to bully and kill Jews but not others? Why does someone become a bully? Can two boys who come from such different backgrounds ever become friends?

I enjoyed how Kelsie Deschenes fully developed each of the characters in this book to the extent that I could easily understand each of their points of view. I could sense their emotions regardless if they were love, fear, pain, or anger. For example, I shivered when Alfonso put a snake in Elizabeth's hair. I commend Kelsie for putting the characters' thoughts in italics to separate them from the rest of the narrative. Kelsie did an excellent job setting the tone for the tension between Germany and the Jewish people. This book has an action-packed and smooth-flowing plot that kept me intrigued until the end.

Unfortunately, this fascinating book has a couple of negative aspects. The letters written to characters were not in italics to offset them from the rest of the text, which I found confusing. Also, this book has not been professionally edited. It has many errors that a professional editor would have easily found.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this book and decided to give it 3 out of 4 stars. The negative aspects did not distract from my reading pleasure, so there was no reason for me to give it a lower score.

Young adults and older readers who enjoy reading about the German and Jewish conflict are the ones I recommend this book to. There is some offensive language in the book where characters are called derogatory names. The fact that the Nazi population did not believe in any power higher than Adolph Hitler and the Jewish people believed in God makes this book suitable for all religions. However, atheists may be offended by being compared to Hitler and may want to avoid this book.

Briggleton's Choir
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

In this novel, Kelsie Deschenes gave each character a rich development that made it simple for me to comprehend their perspectives.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

The book is set in a significant period in history and includes a host of intriguing characters, which I think is the book's best offering as you have pointed out. Nice review.
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

You've written a very well-structured review. I agree with your remarks. Thanks for reviewing the book!
Opara Jerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opara-jerry.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Opara Jerry »

The plot of this book seems mature and I’m sure the author had a few surprises in the book. However, I prefer well-edited books because they are always easier to read. I might have to skip this one.
Sarah tianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tianna.html
Latest Review: Reverse Chronic Kidney Disease by Yaw A. Boateng

Post by Sarah tianna »

This story is really intriguing and captivating. I know it's difficult times being a young adult, this is the phase where your strength is tested. I look forward to reading this book. Nice review.
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

A very well-structured and pleasant review. Perfect!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”