Review of North Star Rising

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Review of North Star Rising

Post by E Daves »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "North Star Rising" by Darielle Mac.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Self-discovery is something everyone must face. Sometimes, things might be going well around us, but then a feeling that something is missing keeps lurking in our minds. This is the case of Amber in the book North Star Rising by Darielle Mac.

This book starts with the introduction of Pavarotti, a bird, after a self-indulgent landing. Then we see Amber searching for her soul gem. This gem is said to reveal problems you must overcome in your life's path and mirror your soul. You will have a guide to help you stay on the right path for your true destiny if a soul gem chooses you to be its steward. When a person discovers a soul gem, the finder will soon depart from their family to go on a quest. When Amber found her soul gem, it became evident that a quest was before her. She started experiencing things pointing to this quest. In Amber's family history, they celebrate their "Story-Nest Naming Day" when they turn fourteen. This is when you celebrate yourself and take up your own name. This name you take up is used for your nest. When she found her soul gem, she discovered something about her family that her father (Finn) had hidden from her for years to protect her. This new knowledge sets her on a quest for self-discovery. What did Amber Emrys learn about her family? What did she discover on her journey? It would be best if you found out, and the only way to find out is by reading this book.

I loved a lot of things about North Star Rising by Darielle Mac. First, this book started in a fun way that will draw you in, thanks to Pavarotti. Pavarotti is a guardian in the air of the Isle of Tir Na Nor. The bird is responsible for weaving the nests. Pavarotti has a humourous personality that makes you love the bird. Second, this book contains images at the beginning of every chapter. This was one of the things I loved most about the book. Third, I love how short each chapter is. It makes the reading process fast and easy. Themes of music, family, and self-discovery can be seen in this book. Finally, the book was well-plotted with a captivating storyline. You can never predict where the story will go, as it all comes as a surprise. I could never have guessed what Count Framboiz was up to. Also, it was heartwarming to see some of the songs I love in this book, especially "Falling, falling, ground control to Major Tom," "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good," and "Country roads, take me home." Pete has the best collection of songs! Now I wish I could have him!

The book explores a magical island called Tir Na Nor, where a lot of things are possible. I commend Darielle Mac for being very descriptive in this book. The characters and scenes were well-developed, making the environment come alive in my mind's eye.

The author's style is just something so dynamic and beautiful to behold. This book could only be written by a talented writer. The way the Islanders speak might confuse some readers, but it fascinated me. I had to drastically reduce my reading speed so that I could keep up with the way the Islanders spoke. Nothing in this book diminished its excellence for me, so I am rating it the 4 out of 4 stars it deserves.

The fantasy world the author describes is so magical. I would recommend this book to readers who love to read about fantasy and magical worlds. This book is suitable for readers from age 12 and above. I will say that this book was professionally edited, as I encountered just a few errors while reading it.

North Star Rising
View: on Bookshelves
Agbata Charles
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

Your review has really agravated my enthusiasm for this book. I think it will be a great read for me. Congrats on your published review
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

North Star Rising by Darielle Mac tells the story of the soul gem and how its appearance marks the beginning of ones life adventure. Great review!
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by Gavice Victoria »

I like the way this fantasy story sounds. The celebration that is done at age fourteen, where oneself is celebrated and the person takes up a name, is it for both male and female? Also, will the individual abandon the name that he/she has been known for when the new name is taken? I'm just curious. I hope I'd get the opportunity to read this book.
Larabs Josh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-michael.html
Latest Review: The Aglaril Cycle by Rich Feitelberg

Post by Larabs Josh »

Self-discovery and self-awareness are traits needed for one to realize one's existence in a world filled with different personalities.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

This story seems interesting. I'd like to ask if the bird is demonstrated as the narrator of the story. Anyway, your review is easy to read and relate with. I'd love to read this book when the opportunity arises.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-ama.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F Girard

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

I like how well you detailed this review. My interest is piqued on the book. I would love to read more about this magical island and it's people. I would also like to find out what Amber discovered about her family.
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Billboards Across America by D.J. Parsons

Post by Kendal Low »

This boom seems really interesting and I always love a good quest story so I would love to give it a try. Really good review.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

I love to read fantasy books and this book, North Star Rising, has caught my attention. I would love to read about the magical Island. I would also like to find out more about the Soul gem and how Amber's adventure went down.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:

Chimereucheya Okoroafo wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 05:20 This story seems interesting. I'd like to ask if the bird is demonstrated as the narrator of the story. Anyway, your review is easy to read and relate with. I'd love to read this book when the opportunity arises.
I'm so curious to find out more about the bird too. I already like it because of the humourous character. This review just got my interest piqued. I can't wait to read this book. I can only hope that I will get the opportunity to do so.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:

I love to read fantasy books and this book, North Star Rising, has caught my attention. I would love to read about the magical Island. I would also like to find out more about the Soul gem and how Amber's adventure went down.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Kenneth Onyenwe wrote: 21 Oct 2022, 13:20 North Star Rising by Darielle Mac tells the story of the soul gem and how its appearance marks the beginning of ones life adventure. Great review!
Exactly! You understood this book's storyline perfectly. Thank you for reading my review and leaving a comment afterwards. I really appreciate.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Chimereucheya Okoroafo wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 05:20 This story seems interesting. I'd like to ask if the bird is demonstrated as the narrator of the story. Anyway, your review is easy to read and relate with. I'd love to read this book when the opportunity arises.
The bird was narrating the story initially, but its main job is to write the story nest for anyone that finds their soul gem in the island. You would love Pavarotti when you read the book.
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

Pavarotti seems like an interesting character. The fact that the bird has a humourous character makes me to like it already. I'm also enticed by the fact that the book contains pictures. Nice job with this review!
Sarah tianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tianna.html
Latest Review: Reverse Chronic Kidney Disease by Yaw A. Boateng

Post by Sarah tianna »

This story is really intriguing and captivating. I know it's difficult times being a young adult, this is the phase where your strength is tested. I look forward to reading this book. Nice review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”