Review of 4th & Long: A Gridiron Parable

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of 4th & Long: A Gridiron Parable

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "4th & Long: A Gridiron Parable" by Garrett M Stapleton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Matthew Gordon is a high school student with mosaic Down syndrome. Typical of teenagers, he experiences bigotry and finger-pointing because of his condition. Life takes a sudden turn when his overly protective father dies. Without a paternal figure to look up to, it is now Matthew and his mother, Lindsey. The football coach, Joe Donovan, sees something special in Gordon and invites him to play the role of a water boy— ensuring all players are hydrated.

Nonetheless, the star footballer, Brian, keeps picking on Matthew, which annoys him. One player stands out of them all— Harry. He befriends Gordon and the two become close over time. Then Matthew realizes the best way to conquer the world is by accepting himself. Meanwhile, with his remarkable physical strength, he stands a chance of joining the football team. Well, will he?

I enjoyed the contrasting nature of Harry and Brian. One was unfriendly to Matthew, while the other struck a beneficial friendship with him. Over time, we notice that Matthew leaves a lasting impression on the people he encounters. In addition, Down syndrome does not affect Gordon's impeccable strength. His condition came with remarkable abilities. Grab a copy of 4th & Long: A Gridiron Parable by Garrett M Stapleton to read more.

Coach Joe struck me as an exceptional leader. He saw something special in Matthew, despite having Down syndrome. In reality, we need good guys like Joe who treat everyone equally. I enjoyed the squad of cheerleaders who constantly encouraged the football team throughout the game.

Parents turned up in large numbers to witness their kids playing. The support was overwhelming! Typical to high school, football players and cheerleaders are among the popular kids. Therefore, a few mild romances were inevitable. I loved that. The idea of prom king and queen reminded me of my teenage years and the thrills that came with the memorable day.

The author performed an impeccable job with the editing, as I discovered very few errors. Moreover, Garrett detailed the football games in depth. I could create images of Brian hurling a ball in the field and people cheering upon a score. It was a job well done. Moreover, the author explained the football slang he included, like offensive and blocker. I found nothing to loathe. As such, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to young adults with special conditions and those who enjoy football games.

4th & Long: A Gridiron Parable
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sarah tianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tianna.html
Latest Review: Reverse Chronic Kidney Disease by Yaw A. Boateng

Post by Sarah tianna »

This story is really intriguing and captivating. I know it's difficult times being a young adult, this is the phase where your strength is tested. I look forward to reading this book. Nice review.
Sarah tianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tianna.html
Latest Review: Reverse Chronic Kidney Disease by Yaw A. Boateng

Post by Sarah tianna »

This story is really intriguing and captivating. I know it's difficult times being a young adult, this is the phase where your strength is tested. I look forward to reading this book. Nice review.
Dirk Jacobs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dirk-jacobs.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Dirk Jacobs »

I like the fact that someone saw potential in him after the tragedy of losing his father, which to any child especially a special needs child can have a devastating effect. I can only imagine what the mother had to endure now, being a single parent as well. This makes me want to read this story and find out how the dynamic of the mother-son bond has changed for the better now that she has become his rock now more than ever and how the couch has managed to give a helping hand and stand in as an exceptional role model when Matthew needed it most.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

this book is full of suspense indeed. thank you for your articulate review, it made me very invested in this book.
Wren Michaels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wren-michaels.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Wren Michaels »

This is an interesting review. Personally, I was distracted by the author's portrayal of Down syndrome and found Matty to be an unrealistic representation. Thank you for your comments.
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:

Post by Roy Nick »

Sarah tianna wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 15:43 This story is really intriguing and captivating. I know it's difficult times being a young adult, this is the phase where your strength is tested. I look forward to reading this book. Nice review.
The book was quite thrilling, given the protagonist had an incurable condition. And yet, he maneuvered his way through life. Please get a copy. Thank you for your kind comment.
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:

Post by Roy Nick »

FunkyFlowerLady wrote: 06 Nov 2022, 04:38 this book is full of suspense indeed. thank you for your articulate review, it made me very invested in this book.
You'll enjoy the book. Furthermore, it is concise and to the point. Thank you for the comment.
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

I learned to accept who I am through this book. Your review was very entertaining.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”