Review of The 9 g's

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Review of The 9 g's

Post by Lucy Vera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The 9 g's" by Donna English.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Faith recalls the story she heard about her parents being killed in Afghanistan when she was still young. Dominic English, now her adopted father, was given custody of her. He is called papa by Faith and her other adopted siblings. Her siblings include Logic and Libro, who are twins, Vision, and Dee, who are twins too, and Rapha, the youngest sibling. Mira was also added to the family. Then the last two boys to join the English family are Tony and Prett. Meanwhile, Cameron and Nahla are papa’s older daughters born by his wife, Pearl, before she got sick. The two daughters also contributed to taking care of the nine kids.

The home of Dominic English is considered to be very safe and peaceful, according to Faith. She acknowledges Sundays to be special days for her entire family. Something weird happened on a particular Sunday after Faith eavesdropped on Papa’s conversation with Nahla. Faith learned that there was a secret that would put her and her siblings in danger. Now Faith fears that the family she always felt safe being in has a secret that she and the rest of her siblings were not aware of, and they decide to go on an adventure to find the Tree of Life, especially after hearing the story told by Nahla.

There are a lot of things I admire about this novel. The 9 G’s by Donna English is a supernatural and educative fiction novel. It focuses on family, trust, betrayal, and also family secrets. The plot of this book is fascinating, and it was also well developed, from Faith finding out about a family secret that her papa kept from them and later going on an adventure with her eight siblings to learn things about the secret. I also learned things from this book about how Donna English cared so much for his family and always sought to protect them at all costs. Also, I admired the emotional aspect of this novel as I feared for the safety of the kids at some point and equally rejoiced, especially when they finally united together. Another thing I appreciated about this book is the character development. The characters were well-developed, and each of them played an important role. My favorite character is Faith. She is able to help Mira understand how important she is to the family. This novel is very interesting, and it is well-written. I was able to read it at a stretch without getting bored.

I honestly enjoyed reading this book, and as I stated above, I learned a lot of things from this book, from family unity to how English protects his family in every situation. Therefore I will be rating this book 4 out of 4 stars. I disliked nothing about the book. Also, this book was professionally edited; I spotted only one error.

I recommend this book to lovers of supernatural fiction and lovers of paranormal fiction because it contains a lot of supernatural occurrences.

The 9 g's
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

I'm not familiar with paranormal stories that teach readers lessons. I've never even seen a book with this combo, and the premise is very interesting. I'd definitely give this book a try. It sounds like a great book to inspire readers about the value of family. Although the blurb is interesting, do you think the plot is believable to a reader?
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

Congratulations to the author on such an intriguing plot; what could that secret be? I had already begun to enjoy my image of their ideal family life.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”