Review of Grandpa Tell Us About The Constitution

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Review of Grandpa Tell Us About The Constitution

Post by E Daves »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Grandpa Tell Us About The Constitution" by Wesley B Hoover & Alberta M Hoover.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

America has been a land of freedom and opportunity, and this has drawn many people from around the world to her. But because of many political and constitutional changes, the pillars on which America was built have started to shake. Liberty, freedom, and equality no longer hold their true and original meaning. This book serves as a reminder of what a great nation America was and what a greater nation it should be. It is intended to assist children in comprehending the beginning of America, the Constitution, its emergence, facts, and doctrines.

Grandpa Tell Us About the Constitution and its Historical Background was originally written by Wesley's mother, Alberta Mendenhall Hoover, and was first published in 1987. Wesley made changes to it by adding pictorial representations and many other features that made it interesting and fun to read. This book examines American history from the time when England still ruled the colonies.

There are some positive aspects of this book that made me enjoy reading it. First, the book narrates and explains the origin of practically everything about the United States of America. Second, by telling the history of America, the book often expanded knowledge on the meaning of some things like transient causes, taxation without representation, embargo, merchant ships, etc. This made this book a great learning material for children. Third, I love how the Constitution was analyzed. I really learned a lot from reading this book. It gladdens me to know that children will understand the Constitution after reading this book. Something else I loved about this book is its colorful pictures. The picture of whatever or whoever was being discussed was presented in the right-hand corner of the book, along with maps. The images of the heroes of America, relics, and all who participated in the play were present in the book. This improved its aesthetics and will be crucial in attracting the intended audience to the book. Also, before each chapter begins, the cast of that chapter is listed.

Grandpa Tell Us About the Constitution and its Historical Background by Wesley B. Hoover & Alberta M. Hoover is written like a play, and it has a narrator. Grandpa is always eager to answer questions from his grandson and his friends. Sometimes, a magic button is pressed that will take them back in time to where an event took place or make a historical figure appear in person in their conversation. Through this method, the author visited many historical events and told them as if the heroes themselves were narrating them. In this book, you will meet those who fought for America's independence and see and hear them in action. Reading this book felt like time travel to me. I went to many places back in time and even sat for court hearings!

There was only one thing I didn't like about this book, and it had to do with the errors I found. There were many sentences with missing commas, along with other topographical errors. For this reason, I am rating it 3 out of 4 stars. It is painful for me to remove a star from my rating because this book deserves four out of four stars. But unfortunately, I can't give it four stars because of the many errors I encountered. This book is far too useful and important to contain errors; hence, I will urge the author to take it through another round of editing.

I recommend this book to children over the age of nine. I would recommend it to adults, too, as it will be good to refresh their memories. Who knows? You might find something you didn't know about. I will also recommend this book to people who love reading history or who want to learn about American roots. This book is a friendly way to learn what would have been difficult in history class.

Grandpa Tell Us About The Constitution
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Toria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

I loved reading this book review because it is both detailed and engaging, and it made me want to read the book immediately. The reviewer provided their own unique perspective on the book, which added an interesting twist to the review. Overall, I had a great time reading the review and would be interested in reading more reviews from this particular reviewer in the future.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

This book seems like a fun way for younger readers to learn about the US constitution. I am loving the style of Grandpa Tell Us About the Constitution and its Historical Background by Wesley B. Hoover & Alberta M. Hoover. I also enjoyed reading this review. Your review of the book was a true work of art. Your ability to articulate your thoughts and provide a balanced and fair critique of the book was impressive.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by Gavice Victoria »

This book is a must-read for anyone interested in learning about the roots of America and the Constitution! That includes me! Grandpa Tell Us About the Constitution and its Historical Background is an excellent book for both children and adults alike. The authors, Wesley B. Hoover & Alberta M. Hoover, have done a great job in presenting a captivating story of America's past and the Constitution. According to this review, the book is written in a play-like format that makes it fun and interesting to read, and the colorful pictures and maps are a great addition. I kind of appreciate how the book expands on the meanings of some terms like transient causes, taxation without representation, embargo, and merchant ships.
Arrow Shot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrow-shot.html
Latest Review: A Bridge to Home by L J Hippler

Post by Arrow Shot »

This book is an absolute must-read! Grandpa Tell Us About the Constitution and its Historical Background is an incredibly informative and engaging look at the history of America. It is written like a play, with a narrator and characters that bring the story to life. I will learn so much from reading this book, from the origin of the United States of America to the meaning of various concepts such as transient causes, taxation without representation, embargo, and merchant ships. The colorful pictures and maps make this book even more enticing for me. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this book.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-ama.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F Girard

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

Great review! Grandpa Tell Us About the Constitution and its Historical Background sounds like an incredibly educational and entertaining read. I love how the author managed to make the history of America so engaging and accessible to children. The colorful pictures, maps, and the cast list at the beginning of each chapter will really help to bring the story to life.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

I find the magical button feature that takes the reader back in time to be particularly fascinating. The only downside could just be the errors, which the author or editor should work on. I think I would wait for when the book has been re-edited, so that I can read it.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

Victoria Ukamaka wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 00:58 This book seems like a fun way for younger readers to learn about the US constitution. I am loving the style of Grandpa Tell Us About the Constitution and its Historical Background by Wesley B. Hoover & Alberta M. Hoover. I also enjoyed reading this review. Your review of the book was a true work of art. Your ability to articulate your thoughts and provide a balanced and fair critique of the book was impressive.
I would recommend this book to children who want to learn more about American history and the Constitution. I love the style of writing too. Children who read the book will find it very interesting. I think it will catch and hold their attention.
Shazyclaire Mark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shazyclaire-mark.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Shazyclaire Mark »

This book sounds amazing! It's great to see such a comprehensive and engaging book about the Constitution and American history. I'm sure children will learn a lot from it and be inspired by the stories of the heroes of America. I'm also glad that the author included colorful pictures and maps to make the book more interesting. I hope the author takes another round of editing to fix the errors so that it can receive the four stars it deserves!
New Nikky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-new-nikky.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by New Nikky »

Great review we have here. I always like your reviews and this is not an exception. I appreciate your writing and I'm looking forwards to more reviews from you. Good job.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

It is worthy to note that some policies of today in a way that affect/infringe on some people's equality. I'd love to understand this scenario from the author's pov. Beautiful review.
Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egenti-ignatius-chimaobi.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi »

This book is a historical and instructive one which talks about the origin of the American history and the american constitution. I enjoyed how detailed your review of this book was. Good job.
Einsthawkton Edeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-einsthawkton-edeh.html
Latest Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by Einsthawkton Edeh »

This book is an amazing reminder of the history of America and the true meaning of liberty, freedom, and equality. From this review, I can see that the book is full of interesting facts and stories that make it an enjoyable and educational read. I that the author used colorful pictures, maps, and a narrator to make the story come alive. I'm interested in reading it.
Goody book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goody-book.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Goody book »

This book sounds interesting but I must say I'm not a fan of this category of book. Kudos to your review it is well detailed.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

Presently, I’m reading a book that has to do with the history of America, and I’ll say the author is right. I got to read about America during the 1960s, and I’m surprised at how much they’ve fallen. Lovely review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”