Review of The Liminal

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Review of The Liminal

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Liminal" by Michael Padjen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Callie was ten when she first discovered an incredible ability. In her dreams, she can traverse a place unlike any other—the Liminal. One morning, during her travels, she wakes up with her brother Luca gone. In a different timeline, a seemingly fun and exciting trip by a group of friends turns into a tragedy. With a monster on the loose, missing kids, and forgotten memories, the story culminates into an exciting adventure.

Michael Padjen's The Liminal is a supernatural thriller novel that caters to young adults. The book tells two stories from two different timelines: 1972 and 2022. What I like the most about this book is that it successfully blends the two seemingly different narratives into one seamless story. Everything connects and ties together, blurring the line between the past and the present. The non-linear storytelling elicits so much anticipation, as each chapter ends with a cliffhanger and begins the next chapter in a different timeline.

The fantasy and supernatural elements in this book are supported by vivid descriptions. One can imagine the mystique of this strange, dream-like space and feel the tension every time the characters find themselves in difficult situations. At the heart of the story are essentially children and teenagers who are going through exhilarating adventures while facing real-life dilemmas. One can never go wrong with an adventure story told from the perspective of young characters. Also, Callie's narrative is somehow a coming-of-age tale. I like how we see her brave all those life hurdles and come out of them stronger and wiser.

I especially like it when an adventure story doesn't preoccupy itself too much with the intricate plot. In this story, it is so easy to care for the characters because they are so in touch with their emotions. They can process what they feel after a particular situation, which is a hugely positive aspect for me. It makes the story and the characters unforgettable. 

Overall, this is a great novel that is both exciting and heartwarming. I don't have anything negative to say about it. I'm giving it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. The text is free of any errors, so the editing must be excellent. The storytelling technique is executed well, and the characters are all endearing and three-dimensional. If you're into young adult fantasy or supernatural books with themes of friendship and family, this story is definitely worth a try.

The Liminal
View: on Bookshelves
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

I really enjoyed this book. It's hard to put down once you start reading. It is suspenseful as well as intriguing, your imagination will take off. Thanks for the review, it was a nice one 👍
Wren Michaels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wren-michaels.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Wren Michaels »

Great review. The Liminal sounds very interesting and captivating idea overall
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

It's typically difficult to comprehend stories with two timelines, but this one was quite simple to understand. I liked how the author combined the two timelines without overwhelming the reader.
Melvin Salamon
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Melvin Salamon »

A fascinating fusion of science fiction, fantasy, and horror can be found in David Hine and Mark Stafford's gripping graphic novel The Liminal. The plot revolves around a collection of people who are brought together by an enigmatic figure known only as The Liminal. Each character has a unique history and is from a different background.
The Liminal contains amazing artwork. The beautiful and intricate backdrops, as well as the intricate graphics, bring the characters to life. Bright colors are used, and the panels are neatly laid out. The mood is improved by the artwork, which adds to the mystery and suspense.
The Liminal is an intriguing and captivating plot. The plot is full of surprises that keep the reader guessing, and the characters are interesting. The conversation flows naturally, and the plot has a good sense of pace.
Fans of science fiction, fantasy, and horror should enjoy The Liminal. Both the tale and the artwork are wonderful. Anyone looking for something unique and distinctive should read it.
Giovana Arévalo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giovana-ar-valo.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Giovana Arévalo »

I love well-planned books with compelling characters, especially if those are turned with their emotion no matter how young they could be. This seems exactly the type of book for me. Your review is amazing, thank you!
Gigaga123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gigaga123 »

I love it,the script and the imagination is a little bit creative and fun to read as well

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”