Review of Pickles and the Stolen World Cup

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Review of Pickles and the Stolen World Cup

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pickles and the Stolen World Cup" by Posey Parker.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

As World War II ended, England, like other countries, needed to pick up the pieces and rebuild. The country’s economy was in tatters, and the people were still reeling from the aftermath of the war. It was all doom and gloom until FIFA announced England would host the 1966 world cup. Excitement reverberated through the streets of England. The news delighted both the young and the old.

Martin and Graeme worked for the BBC as football anchors. In the months leading up to the world cup, the BBC anchors had a show wherein they shared various lessons about the world cups and the origins of football. Collin and Wendy looked forward to the show after Sunday school. They never missed Martin and Graeme’s shows and watched every single show with excitement and anticipation. The exquisite trophy was to be loaned by FIFA to the FA, England's governing body of football beginning in March and it went on display March 19. While most people were excited to see the cup in person, some people were hatching a plan to steal the cup. Indeed, the trophy got stolen on the second day of the public viewing, March 20th. Collin, Wendy, and their Sunday school friends caught a glimpse of the thieves and hatched a plan of their own to recover the trophy. Read Pickles and The Stolen World Cup to find out if a bunch of kids succeeded in recovering the trophy and restoring England’s dignity and joy.

Posey Parker did a stellar job with this book. I liked the themes covered in the book, the storyline, and the delivery of the book. Football is known to bring people from all different walks of life together, and that is what Parker portrayed in this book. Her choice of words captured the ambiance surrounding the world cup games. The emotions were raw and almost tangible, making it easy to imagine the scenes. The role of the children brought a fresh spin to the story. It is rare for children to be involved in crime-solving cases, but in this book, the children played a believable role and executed their recovery mission cleverly.

I did not pick up any errors while listening to this audiobook and had nothing negative to say about the book. The narration was top-notch, and the narrator’s voice was smooth and a pleasure to listen to. The narrator’s ability to bring words to life and inject life into the various characters was unmatched. The tone, pitch, and animated voice were spot-on for all the characters.
I am giving this book a solid 5 out of 5 stars. The storyline and the narration are captivating and thrilling.

This book is ideal for young adults who love football, adventure, and pets. I recommend it for teenagers and pre-teens, as they will be in a better position to understand the book. I also recommend it to younger children, provided an adult reads it out to them. As I was listening to this audiobook, I imagined a couple of first graders sitting on a carpet, listening to an adult reading this book to them. I imagined their cute little faces lighting up whenever their peers made great strides in retrieving the world cup and gasping at the sight of potential danger.

Pickles and the Stolen World Cup
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

Lol, this book sounds like something i will definitely read. A bunch of kids trying to recover the stolen world cup😂😂. Thanks for the review
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

Sounds like a hilarious read. Would be suitable for the younger audience. Thanks for a thorough review.
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

A group of kids attempting to recover the stolen World Cup. Would be appeal to a younger reader. It sounds like a hilarious read. Thanks for the informative review; I will surely read this book.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”