Review of "Dumb" Orphans

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Re: Review of "Dumb" Orphans

Post by Judy O »

It is quite saddening when I hear of the situation of the less privileged in the society. I look forward to reading about what they become. Beautiful review.
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

The high number of child headed households in the southern parts of Africa is truly alarming. This sounds like a book that will tug at your heartstrings. Thanks for the great review.
"All I can do is fight, and I intend to. After all, giving up on the process is giving up on the result."
Hammed Sodiq Oluwakemi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holuwa-kemi-sola.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Hammed Sodiq Oluwakemi »

I haven’t read the story yet but through this review, I’ll like to read the book myself.
Life is not fair, but the fairness is not what matters but what you are willing to do.
How determined you are to be successful no matter the obstacles.
Donald Kelvin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-chinwe.html
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd

Post by Donald Kelvin »

I would love to read about how these orphans become more in their society. thanks for the amazing review.
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd
Precious Anavheoba
Currently Reading: Bright Expanse
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

I think this is a great book. We don't often get to hear and see enough of what happens in many countries in Asia, Africa and a few other continents. Childcare for orphans put up by the government and government leadership are challenged. Kudos to the author.
Oceegee Chika Oroke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceegee-chika-oroke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Oceegee Chika Oroke »

Allan Low has done an amazing job with the story of theses orphans. These orphans are being mocked and called demeaning names, but they continued to raise their heads above the waters. The illustrations are helpful and the messages are edifying. For example, one has to first make up one's mind to succeed before they can even make any meaning progress and then remain consistent along the way; this is seen in the lives of Sakhile and Elah.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

"Dumb" Orphans" by Allan Low is an interesting children's book that teaches about equality, using the life of Aiyasha as an example. Great read.
Bite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bite.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Bite »

Being positive is key to being successfully. Even for the underdogs. Another spice to success is resilience and determination. Every success begins with been willing. Thank you for this awesome review.
Jabulile Mahlangu 1
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Esther ekunola
Bookshelf Size: 23
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Jabulile Mahlangu 1 »

The most bravest seven kids are on an unfamiliar your at life. With nothing to hold on to but their Teenage guide Aiysha. The responsibility or more like burden cast on their shoulders rids them off their chance at childhood which is insane. Narrating this is Sipho who happens to be only six a journey of bewilderment and agony but the tone is so far from sad and sympathetic. These kids remain surprisingly optimistic.

The adults around them show no remorse or empathy they continue with their normal lives. Headman Meyego's little contribution is no different from the horrifying stories told by uncle Boniface.

I love how these kids regardless, through sickness, loss and pain they are able to keep hopeful for something they themselves are not sure of.

The lack of spelling errors and the ability to keep me entertained throughout the novel is magical. As a South African today I resonate even in 2024 some things have not changed so little was exaggerated.

The arrangement and tone of the book deserves nothing less than a 4 star rating . I am motivated and considering reading more children books after that last line.
Sapna Mallah
Currently Reading:

Post by Sapna Mallah »

4.5. I loved this story. I think it's so important that real issues are highlighted in a way that children can understand. The only qualm I have is the timeline. It jumps ahead in irregular increments that are confusing to understand sometimes

1 Bundami valley in Southern Africa, Meyego, the Head of Community, orders that Aiyasha, a fifteen year-old girl, takes care of 7 orphans of the community. These orphans call themselves the "Bundu Bunch", and despite the fact that they're called dumb because they couldn't attend local school and were solely dedicated to being farmhands, through their adventures and tales you'll come to realize that they were anything but dumb.

Although the plot objectively tells the tales that go from their discoveries of how to pull water from a different place to how they learned to read and sum, this book gently touches (subjectively) tough subjects like greed, poverty, hunger, injustice, international asylum, and many others. It also teaches a beautiful lesson about friendship, sense of community and belonging, about being humble and empathetic - a wonderful book to introduce such topics to children in a delicate and smooth way.

There were tears in my eyes in many passages of this book. You'll be surprised to realize that such a delicate and innocent story can touch you deep inside and make you put many things into perspectivel :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
Hajar Hosseini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hajar Hosseini »

Helpful review. The title caught my attention from the beginning. A mixture of tragedy and humor!
Raymonda Onwuka 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka-1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT: Mastering AI Conversations for Beginners by Malcolm Oppenheimer

Post by Raymonda Onwuka 1 »

Something good sometimes comes out of bad suitations. This book also contains themes on determination and perseverance and it is important that kids learn these attributes early. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Yonia
Currently Reading:

Post by Yonia »

Every child deserves care, support from the government and the people around them. Especially for orphaned children, although Bund Bunch is considered "dumb" by other special children, he has resilience and determination. One of the interesting themes is resilience and determination. Where kindness is not only for a few people
Yonia
Currently Reading:

Post by Yonia »

Every child deserves care, support from the government and the people around them. Especially for orphaned children, although Bund Bunch is considered "dumb" by other special children, he has resilience and determination. One of the interesting themes is resilience and determination. Where kindness is not only for a few people

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”