Review of "Dumb" Orphans

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Review of "Dumb" Orphans

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""Dumb" Orphans" by Allan Low.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The fact is that every child is important and deserves the same quantity and quality of care, support, and provisions put in place by the government; inequality should be frowned upon.

Aiyasha, orphaned at the age of fifteen, is given the responsibility of taking care of seven other orphans without adequate food, good living conditions, and education. Amidst the taunts from Samu and Meyego, these did not stop looking on the bright side of life. Allan Low proves that something marvelous can still come out of the less privileged in his book, "Dumb" Orphans: A Bundu Bunch Trilogy.

Low looks into the affairs of man, including man's behavior when privileged with a powerful position. He gives a clear-cut distinction between how many egocentric leaders act when in power and how selfless leaders act when in power through the characters of Meyego, Initiwase's Chief Headman, and Aiyasha. He exposes the wickedness and cold-heartedness of the blacks towards the blacks. The author also talked about the many ills perpetuated on the less privileged ones in society, especially the orphans, by the very same ones who were meant to protect them and take a stand for them.

One interesting theme running through the story is the theme of resilience and determination. Although the Bundu Bunch were labeled 'dumb' by the other privileged children, resilience and determination was the spice that flavored their stay in Bundami. I discovered that these virtues are not for a select few. It is for all who would love to win the battle of life valiantly because, through resilience and determination, all you ever desire can and will be yours, just like Elah's dream came through.

The author establishes this point passionately. I saw that anyone willing and eager for success and ready to put in commensurate efforts would truly succeed and amount to something great. Every success begins first with willingness. I admire Sakhile singularly for her willingness and eagerness to learn new things. This stood her out from every other member of the Bundu family.

I love how the book was divided into three reasonably easy parts to read and grasp. Its tone, organization, structure, punctuation, and illustrations made this book a beautiful and inspiring story. I disliked nothing about the book. Though I stumbled on a couple of mistakes, it isn't enough to make me doubt that this book was still well-edited. Hence, in glad to rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

This book is an inspiring story every teenager should read, and I will recommend it to them. It should be included in the list of literary texts for schools.

"Dumb" Orphans
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
CrossK
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

One interesting theme running through the story is the theme of resilience and determination. Although the Bundu Bunch were labeled 'dumb' by the other privileged children, resilience and determination was the spice that flavored their stay in Bundami.
Annas Felix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annas-felix.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Annas Felix »

Resilience and determination are great traits for everyone to have. Teaching kids this early will help them grow into people with self-worth.
image Joshua
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by image Joshua »

Being determine is priceless most especially when you have many forces coming against you. It's a 10 over 10 for me
Martina Matome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Martina Matome »

Dumb Orphans is a charming and heart-warming tale about a group of misfit animals. I especially enjoyed the idea of a wise and kindly fox who helps guide the animals to find their place in the world. The book is written in an easy to follow format and is full of colorful illustrations. The story line of the book is very engaging and the characters are likable and funny. This book has lots of positive messages that children will be able to carry with them into adulthood, such as the importance of friendship, loyalty and working together. All in all, this is an enjoyable and educational read with a sweet message.
Giovana Arévalo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giovana-ar-valo.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Giovana Arévalo »

This seems to be a beautiful and inspiring book. Thank you for the review!
Akoan Adroit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Akoan Adroit »

If there's something that caught my attention, then it's the way we treat others; mostly we're naturally biased which is not supposed to be so. And I think we can truly learn to stop being so by reading this book.

I like the way you point out the themes through your review.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Being an orphan at such a young age like Aiyasha is something someone could hardly bear. She was being held responsible for other orphan kids at age fifteen, is such a big responsibility she could be handled. How Aiyasha managed it all? I'd like to find out. Your review is well elaborated! Congrats!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

I find this plot to be interesting and worth reading. Thank you for your honest review
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

This sounds like a book worth reading. It sounds as if the author is making a point of being resilient and determined, even if your circumstances seem overwhelmingly difficult. Thank you for this beautifully written review.
SAVAGETRADES
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SAVAGETRADES »

This sounds like a book worth reading. It sounds as if the author is making a point of being resilient and determined, even if your circumstances seem overwhelmingly difficult.
Towfiq Juma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-towfiq-juma.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Towfiq Juma »

The Bundu Bunch Trilogy deals with themes such as poverty, prejudice, friendship, and the power of perseverance.. it is a great choice for young readers who enjoy adventure stories with diverse characters and themes.
Madhumitha_Prabhakaran
Currently Reading: e-Patients Live Longer
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Madhumitha_Prabhakaran »

:) With this review it seems like a book to read worthablily.. Resilience and determination are the true facts of life everyone need to learn I had got it through a lot of struggling in my life... And it's very important to teach children with these facts as early as possible to not suffer much...A very nice review ❤️
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

While the book deals with great topics I dislike the title of the book. Great and informative review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Saima Rahman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saima-rahman.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Saima Rahman »

Resilience and determination can fulfil any and every dream. A great review of a great book. Amazing work!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”