Review of Just City

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Review of Just City

Post by Mindy Conahye »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Just City" by Olga Tymofiyeva.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Just City is a young adult novel written by Olga Tymofiyeva. The author created a unique storyline in this book. It contains a variety of characters and dynamics, including the effects caused by playing a virtual reality game. The struggles the main character faces throughout the book will speak to many of the readers.

Nathan is a 21-year-old young man looking to create a start-up with his friend. They need funding to be able to launch their idea so they decide to participate in the trial of a new game. The virtual reality game makes Nathan start to see things differently and explore other paths for his life after he gets into an argument with his friend. He begins to question life and what is really deserved.

Just City would be best suited for older youth and young adults. I feel this age range would best understand the content of the book. It wouldn't be suited for younger readers. Some parts of the book consist of fantasy and new-age topics. Some readers may enjoy this aspect while others may not.

I enjoyed reading this novel. I found the characters to be well-developed and relatable. I feel everyone has felt like Nathan has at one point in their life. I liked how it felt like there was a story within a story happening. The virtual game created another plot within the story and helped to develop Nathan's character even more. The problems Nathan faces, including trying to find his place in the world, made it easier for the reader to empathize with his character. The book made me look at my own life and question what I could be doing differently, how I interact with others, and how to expand what I can do for others. I found myself relating to Nathan's vulnerability to other people's influence as well. I enjoyed the author's writing style and creative plot. Overall, there was nothing to dislike about this book.

I rated this book 5 out of 5 stars. It is exceptionally well-edited and contains no errors. The plot in this book is intriguing and kept my attention. The author had a way of making the reader think deeper about what is going on in their own lives because of the circumstances taking place in Nathan's life. I found this story to be interesting and the author's writing style to be excellent. I would suggest it to others and would like to read additional books by this author.

Just City
View: on Bookshelves
Mac :techie-reference:
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This seems like it would be a good novel for the generation that plays these games. That way they can see what it really takes to start a company and how your dreams can change.
CrossK
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

Just City would be best suited for older youth and young adults. I feel this age range would best understand the content of the book. It wouldn't be suited for younger readers. Some parts of the book consist of fantasy and new-age topics. Great review.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

This sounds like a good read for older teens and young adults. I am curious how the virtual reality game changed or affected Nathan's view of life.
jade sanchez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jade sanchez »

It is flawlessly edited and free of mistakes. This book's plot captured my interest and is engaging. Because of the events that are happening in Nathan's life, the author has a way of getting the reader to reflect more deeply on what is happening in their own lives. This novel held my interest, and I thought the author's writing was great. I'd recommend it to others and look forward to reading more of this author's works.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”