Review of The Operation

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maggie Johnson 2
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-johnson-2.html
Latest Review: Graham's Folly by Miguel Gutierrez

Review of The Operation

Post by Maggie Johnson 2 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Operation" by Lord Tyler McDonald.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

When Ahmad Santiago woke up one morning, he had no idea that this would be the day that would change his life forever. The day started like any other, with Ahmad completing his morning prayers. Then the CIA came knocking on his door. They want Ahmad to travel to Syria to kill the leader of ISIS. It turns out they’ve been watching Ahmad for a while and believe that he is the perfect person to help carry out this dangerous operation. But can he really succeed at such an impossible task?

The Operation by Lord Tyler McDonald is an exciting young adult novel that follows Ahmad as he attempts to carry out the mission of a lifetime.

I enjoyed the plot of this story. It was fast-paced and grabbed my attention from the beginning. There was a lot at stake, and that helped create a feeling of tension throughout the book. I was eager to see what would happen next and found it hard to put the book down.

As much as I enjoyed the plot, I did find the story rather unbelievable. It wasn’t just that the plot seemed far-fetched, but the way the events in the book played out. This book was only 94 pages long, and there was a lot that happened. I think adding more description and details would have gone a long way. I also would have liked to know more about the characters. The author gave Ahmad quite a backstory. However, I never really got a sense of who he was or how his past affected him. I would have liked to see more of his personality, thoughts, and feelings.

I would give this book a rating of 3 out of 5 stars. The characters and plot had a lot of potential but lacked the details necessary to make them convincing and realistic. I also encountered several grammatical errors throughout the book. While the number of errors was below ten, I would not consider this book professionally edited, given how short it was. Even though there were several areas where I think this book fell short, I still enjoyed it. It was entertaining enough that I read it in one sitting.

I read this book as an adult and liked the story. However, I think this book is best suited for a younger audience. I would recommend this book to preteens and young adults who enjoy fast-paced action and suspense stories. This book is the first in a series but can be read as a standalone.

The Operation
View: on Bookshelves
Giovana Arévalo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giovana-ar-valo.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Giovana Arévalo »

I have always thought that characters, more than plots, make or break a book; if the leads can't connect with the readers then it's very likely that the book will fail. I'm glad you enjoyed it though and it seems very interesting book. Thank you for your review.
Nwoko E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-e.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nwoko E »

I enjoyed the plot of this story. It was fast-paced and grabbed my attention from the beginning. Great review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”