Review of The Wingless Fairy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Review of The Wingless Fairy

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Wingless Fairy" by Kye Strothers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers is a fantasy book for young adults. The plot takes place in the magical land of Caitland. Although the author has created a fantastic universe with several races and different beings, three races stand out: fairies, elves, and mages. After a quick prologue showing a world where everyone seemed to live in harmony, an evil force appears and overpowers any being that can show itself as some kind of resistance.

At first, the reader is introduced to a magical world ruled by a mysterious and powerful being called Cypher. After the explosion of the temple of light, the mighty villain (made of both light and darkness) emerged. The reader won't find a detailed description of how he took power, but what is known is that after he took the land of Caitland, an atmosphere of desolation and lack of hope took over. Will it lie in the powers of the protagonists (the wingless fairy Dani, the elven knight Emma, and the eclipse mage Brody) to stop the all-powerful villain? Read on to find out.

Kye succeeded in creating a well-developed setting. Albeit the short description of the world of Caitland, the reader can put himself in the shoes of the characters of the most diverse races and understand the sentiment of despair they are feeling. Even with the loss of dear friends and family, the main characters do not lose hope and develop a lovely friendship. Even in the face of these qualities, what I liked most about the book was that it was pleasant and easy to read. I read the book in one go as I wanted to know what would happen to the evil Cypher. That addictive aspect of the book is its main asset.

The main negative point of the book is the lack of originality in some parts of the story. I am acutely aware that the fantasy book market is jam-packed with books and that it is tough to create something groundbreaking. Even so, many parts of the story read like crude rip-offs from the video game The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Not only does one of the protagonists play the ocarina, but they also search for three artifacts that remind me of the Triforce. The characters are also not very psychologically developed. As it is a short book for teenagers, I did not consider this feature a severe flaw.

All in all, The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers is easy-to-read, intense, and spell-binding. I read the book in a little over a day, and it was an experience I enjoyed. Considering the unoriginality of some aspects of the story to be the only flaw, I rate it 4 out of 5 stars. I found only one grammatical error at the end of the book. Thus, it is professionally edited. I recommend it to young adults who like fantasy books. There are no sexual scenes or profane words.

The Wingless Fairy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Opara Jerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opara-jerry.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Opara Jerry »

Oh write
Fairies and magical works are my favorite things in a book. I do sure hope I read it and feel like it’s deserving of a 4 star rating or at least a 5 star Rating.
Monale Bariyima Ueh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monale-bariyima-ueh.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Monale Bariyima Ueh »

I appreciate the imagination of the author. It fascinates me how one can come up with a vast imaginary land with so much details. Although, your review points out that the author may have gotten inspiration from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
Ebele Ekelobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

Great fantasy fiction. I enjoyed the review a lot. I love fantasy books and I'll check this out. Great review.
zulfiqar512
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by zulfiqar512 »

It fascinates me how one can come up with a vast imaginary land with so much details. Although, your review points out that the author may have gotten inspiration from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
David Oseha
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by David Oseha »

Very nice book, greatest fantasy fiction ever
Dhumble
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhumble.html
Latest Review: Blanket Immunity by Adam Van Susteren

Post by Dhumble »

This was a v ery informative book. The author made the point in easy , understandable words. People leave a certain church because someone in the congregation hurt there feelings. The main reason to be there is to listen and absorb the word of God. So they should focus on that not the deeds of imperfect people.
I liked the book. It was written in plain simple verbiage.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”