Review of The Knight's Apprentice

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Review of The Knight's Apprentice

Post by Andrada Madalina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Knight's Apprentice" by Carl Gundestrup.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Knight's Apprentice by Carl Gundestrup is a young-adult fantasy about honor and commitment. It highlights a boy's destiny and his dream to become a knight. Also, the novel illustrates themes such as knighthood, family life, death, and justice.

Briefly, the story focuses on Christian Thomas Richards, a former knight in the service of King Derrick and Sir Eric Reynolds, a man for whom deception was more important than honor. McKay, Christian's son, wants to become a great knight, and his father gives him a dagger on his tenth birthday. Christian and his friends McHenry and Kelvin help McKay train as a novice, while the boy begins to doubt whether it is right to serve King Derrick.

I enjoyed the mixture of quest and fantasy because of the suspenseful plot that emphasized the fight between good and evil. The incipit sprinkled with tales about a demon beast called Poltroon intrigued me, but what captivated me all the most was Christian's backstory and the injustice done to him despite his undeniable abilities as a knight and his dignity. Also, I loved how the author highlighted the father-son relationship in the Richards family. For instance, I admired Christian's inspiring teachings about the honor of a knight offered to McKay and was impressed by how quickly the boy assimilated all his father's advice.

Another positive aspect of this book was its package of moral values. The knights' stories taught me valuable lessons about integrity, respect, and kindness. Also, I liked the character development, especially the gradual change in McKay's mindset regarding a knight's principles. For example, I empathized with the boy's outburst in front of his father due to his frustration accumulated during his assiduous training, and I admired his courage in facing Eric Reynolds' soldiers.

I liked how Carl Gundestrup alternated McKay's journey and Christian's backstory, but I disliked the abrupt ending of some chapters. I loved the dialogues abundant in substance, especially those about revelation and God's wisdom. Also, I appreciated how the author outlined Kelvin's spirituality and the guidance given to McKay during his training. I only rate this novel 4 out of 5 stars because it was not professionally edited. I discovered many punctuation errors, but they did not influence my reading experience.

I recommend this book to fans of fantasies, especially those who enjoy tales about knights and dragons. It is perfect for young adults eager to read a story about overcoming weaknesses and a knight's duties. Also, The Knight's Apprentice is suitable for a large audience because it has no profanity or erotic content.

The Knight's Apprentice
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”