Review of On the Waterfront

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Review of On the Waterfront

Post by Amanda Warner »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "On the Waterfront" by Mike McCoy.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

On the Waterfront is a book by Mike McCoy that talks about a 13-year-old boy named Daniel Lacey Novak, who was a victim of bullying and was always trying to fit in. Lacking parental and mostly motherly love, Danny struggled to be accepted by others, as he always felt like his life was miserable because he never got the love or acceptance he needed. Danny got dropped off by his mother at Camp Baker after he was hired in the summer of 1978 by the Oregon Trail Council to work as a member. He was happy that he finally got to leave home and be free from his mother's backlash. While he was at the camp, he met Eric, with whom he bunks. The first few days at the camp were not easy for him, as he still found it difficult to blend in and was given one of the worst chores in the camp, which he had no other option but to attend to so he would not be seen as weak. How was Danny able to cope in the camp? Was he later accepted by the other boys, or did he live his life in solitude? Learn more about Danny's story when you read this book.

The story of Danny inspired me, and I had a different view of how people feel when they are discriminated against or not accepted by others or society. While reading this book, I learned a lot from Danny's life, as he was always positive. Even if he was treated badly or rejected by others, he still decided to give them a helping hand when they needed it.

What I loved about this book was Danny's positivity and how he defended Mark after he was accused by the senior counselor, Mr. Donaldson, and Marty. I also loved the connection that Mark and Danny had as they were able to share their life stories while they were in a canoe on Lake Siltcoos. I also love that both of them got close to each other and looked out for one another, even if they never thought of themselves as friends at first.

What I disliked about this book was how everyone treated Mark, as I felt more sorry for him even than Danny, who was trying hard to be accepted. I also did not like the fact that Brian signed the merit badge for one of the scoutmasters, Mr. Bevins, even after Mark told him that his boys were not worthy of it because they did not pass the swimming test. I feel that he was belittled and looked down on, which gave me a big concern. While reading this book, I found a few errors, which makes me believe that this book was professionally edited. Other than what I disliked above, this book was inspiring, engaging, and interesting to read. I, therefore, give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to those who are struggling to fit in and be accepted, as they will learn from Danny's story.

On the Waterfront
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Most parents don't know that their actions towards their children affect their self-esteem. Such is the case of Danil here. I look forward to reading the book and knowing his survival story. Well done!!!
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

How hard it must have been for Danny to survive discrimination. This book has an emotional plot, and dishes out some life lessons. I would love to see how Danny will get through all his trials.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

It’s a bad feeling when one does not know how to fit into a group or place. It’s a sickening feeling. I wish most parents will look after the emotional and mental health of their children more.
Nanin
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chobitpatience.html
Latest Review: Adventures with Pop Pop at Grant’s Farm by Warren Martin

Post by Nanin »

This is definitely inspiring. I think most people can relate to facing rejection. Seems like an enlightening read. Thanks for this insightful review.
Onyeso Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyeso-njoku.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Onyeso Njoku »

Danny must have passed through a lot at the hands of other children, bullying and discrimination were such horrible experiences.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”