Review of Talon, Windsong

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Review of Talon, Windsong

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Talon, Windsong" by Gigi Sedlmayer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Get ready to ride the adventure of the legendary Matica in the sixth installment of the Talon Series that Gigi Sedlmayer crafted into a unique masterpiece of a storyline in Talon, Windsong. It's a standalone book good for young adults and perfect for an office break. Soar high with Matica in the back of her condor friend named Talon. Matica is different from a typical thirteen-year-old girl. She is petite, which makes her able to ride with a condor. Her disability (being too small) is somewhat a gift that defines her identity as "the girl who rides with a condor." 

Matica is anxious to go to Australia. She will surely miss her condor friends named Talon, Tima, and Tamo. She has a good time enjoying the ride with her animal friends in different places like the caves, the Inca dwellings, or the ocean. It's also a bit hard for her to think about everything, like the capture of the poachers, the death of Elder Elcano, the new leader (Pajaro), and leaving her love (Amos) sooner. Meanwhile, Pajaro is going to throw the ashes of his father into the mountains with the help of the condors. Will the condors be able to carry the heavy loads of the ashes? Suddenly, Crayn (Matica's father), who had climbed up on the ledge to accompany Pajaro, lost his balance and was going to fall from the cliff. What will happen next? 

Matica's adventure with the condors amuses me. First, I always laugh at the condors' table show and like it. Second, those moments of surviving ferocious animal attacks add thrills to the story. Third, animal awareness or being friends with them like the birds and monkeys is a reminder to the readers to be kind with animals. Last, I like that the author included the idea of teaching the remote villages of the Indian settlers.

Thinking about those ideas, like hovering in the sky on the back of a bird, is quite exciting to read. On the other hand, tedious scenarios like just plainly telling the adventures of Matica or retelling her dreams are the things I least like, but they don't hinder me from finishing the story. Why? The author has a good way of maintaining the reader's interest by putting somewhat eventful scenarios or somewhat scary moments into Matica's flight. 

I'm awarding this book 5 out of 5 stars because Matica's condor journey entertains me well. The editing is also good and professionally edited, with only minor mishaps, and if it's proofread again, those issues will not mar the writing style of the author. Moreover, every chapter is very easy to follow with good chapter titles that summarize the chapter's events in a few words. Lastly, I like the way the author portrays parental guidance when your child is in love.

I recommend this book to those who love animals or those who like animal adventure stories. Anyone who enjoys animal friendships like those with dogs, cats, monkeys, or birds will enjoy reading the adventures of Matica. 

Talon, Windsong
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Monale Bariyima Ueh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monale-bariyima-ueh.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Monale Bariyima Ueh »

I like books that have very descriptive chapter titles. Your review says that this book has that. I like it because it gives me a taste if what to expect from the chapter before reading it.
Ebele Ekelobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

Lovers of animals or those who like animal adventure stories will definitely love this book. I'm not necessarily a fan of the genre. Great review.
Saile Elias
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Saile Elias »

of animals or those who like animal adventure stories will definitely love this book. I'm not necessarily a fan of the genre. It is a very interesting book
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I do really young adult novels usually. This one sounds as if it’s written on the level of a very young reader. I’m also not very fond of the fact that it is part of a series, even if it is stand alone.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”