Review of The Hero Engine

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Review of The Hero Engine

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Hero Engine" by Dennis Allen Cooper.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Hero Engine by Dennis Allen Cooper takes the reader into an adventurous world of fantasy and possibility. Petra works with her inventor-grandfather, Hero, in Alexandria. When she realizes some of her grandfather's weapon plans have been stolen, she has to warn her grandfather. Will they be too late to stop the impending disaster? You'll have to read this book to find out!

The cover design of this book is done well and draws a reader's attention. The colors are brilliant and eye-catching, and the centrally-located ship promises readers the treat of adventure and discovery.

The character development in this book is exceptional. Within minutes of beginning this story, I found myself liking the courageous character of Petra. Her strength and sassy attitude made me smile throughout the story on more than one occasion. Her love of books is admirable, and her excitement at finding new books for the library she is helping her grandfather compile at Alexandria is perfect for this story.

The sensory descriptions in this book are vivid and draw a reader deep into each scene to experience the surroundings of the tale. For instance, this quote from the book's first scene demonstrates that technique, "The mix of sun-warmed wood, canvas, and saltwater was intoxicating." That style of writing makes this book enjoyable all the way through.

What I liked best about this work was the literary focus that constantly threads through the storyline. Mentions of great writers such as Homer, and titles such as Iliad, create a literary backdrop of greatness that bonds well with the building of the library at Alexandria and the quest of the main characters.

Overall, the book seems to be written well and researched carefully. I liked how each chapter began with a quote from a book that could have been in Alexandria's historical library. These lines of wisdom added authenticity and historical connection to the book's format.

Written by an award-winning author, this book achieves a standard of storytelling excellence and adventure that suits the Young Adult genre. It is exceptionally edited. I saw no errors to mention. For these reasons, this book has achieved a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I found nothing to dislike about this work and no reason to rate it lower than the highest rating. I recommend this book to students of philosophy and readers who love the history of Greece and Rome. It will hold a unique appeal for those who have a love of all things ancient, adventurous, and mysterious.

The Hero Engine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Petra and her grandfather seem to work together well. I am especially intrigued by their building of the library. There is suspense too. What about the weapon? Sounds like a great read.
arash1989
Currently Reading: The Hero Engine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by arash1989 »

Great book! Good historical fiction from Roman era. Lots of science. Fast paced. Good for middle school or proficient readers in upper grade school. Starts with a strong female protagonist and adds a male character soon after. This is a fast paced page turner that will keep interest while the reader also learns about some scientific principles and history. Highly recommend
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

This is a good book, especially with all the inspirations from different books. It is an adventure that's worth reading. I would love to read about the relationship between Petra and her grandfather.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”