Review of The African Diaspora in Arts and Culture from A to Z

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review of The African Diaspora in Arts and Culture from A to Z

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The African Diaspora in Arts and Culture from A to Z" by Anthony Howell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I love getting to know new cultures. There are various ways to do this, and one of the simplest is reading books. The African Diaspora in Arts and Culture from A to Z by Anthony Tony Howell is a book that shows some aspects of African culture through various illustrations and short descriptions in alphabetical order.

This relatively short book lists and shows certain features of African culture from history to the present day. On each page, a different piece is illustrated and briefly explained. Specific dances, instruments, geographical locations, and historical events important to African and black culture are listed. All these elements are arranged in alphabetical order.

First of all, I must emphasize that I enjoy the very concept of this book. The book is rather short and can be read quickly, but it is entertaining and instructive. I had already heard about many of the mentioned terms before, but I didn't know what they were, and I just now learned something about them. It is fascinating how there is a characteristic and unique segment on every continent that originates from Africa. Each term in the book is accompanied by an appropriate illustration and a short description that very briefly and clearly explains the given term. Also, the book is very visually appealing. Each page is colored differently depending on the letter with which the given terms begin. Also, at the end of the book, there is an empty space for taking notes, which is useful if the readers want to add or note something while reading a book.

As for the negative aspects of the book, there aren't too many. The lack of page numbers bothers me the most, so it is a little harder to orientate in the book. Another objection is the brevity of the text. I would have appreciated the author to have provided much more information and interesting facts about the given terms. As for the editing quality, there are not many errors in the book, although I encountered some minor errors.

Taking all the above into account, I give the book 4 out of 5 stars. The book seems too simple and too succinct for a perfect rating. I would recommend the book primarily to everyone who wants to learn something new about other cultures, specifically African culture. The book is also a perfect addition to the coffee table and can be read while sipping coffee or tea in the morning. It gives me such a vibe.

The African Diaspora in Arts and Culture from A to Z
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”