Review of The Field of Mustard Seeds

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: The Big Necesscaries by Beth Weiler

Review of The Field of Mustard Seeds

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Field of Mustard Seeds" by Lakise Collins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Field of Mustard Seeds by Lakise Collins is a fiction novel. Everything for Willow has been going downhill from a young age. When Willow attempted suicide, the keeper of Eden, Dregus, revealed the chain of events that led up to her decision. Some of the events were inevitable, but she could have prevented many of them by resisting temptation.

Readers who are easily upset by books where the protagonist contemplates or attempts suicide should avoid this one. The narrative travels back in time to Willow's recollections from before her depression and suicide attempt. Depression, suicide, the afterlife, alcoholism, post-traumatic stress disorder, drug abuse, poverty, physical abuse, attempted rape, adultery, abortion, and grief are just some of the topics covered in this book. As the book progresses, God keeps putting her faith to the test, ultimately leading to her suicide.

The bird's tale within the story is interesting to me. Also, I liked how the author portrays the darkness that lies just beneath the surface of human nature. I appreciated how this book dealt with so many real-life situations in which readers might have felt hopeless or confused. I think a lot of people can identify with the characters in this book because they have also experienced difficulties in life that they were unable to prevent or solve. Everyone deserves a second chance at a happy life, and this book may give you that chance by giving you hope or another way out of your current situation.

What I disliked about the book was all the bad things that happened to Willow and her loved ones, but that was, of course, the point of the story. Although young and naive, Willow experienced the harsh realities of life, and it breaks my heart.

I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars because I thought the way God, heaven, and hell were explained within a fictional story was brilliant. This helped me understand the answers to many questions I've had about the Bible. I took off a point because I do not think the book was professionally edited. The book was easy to read and not too long.

If you've lost your way but would like to rediscover God, this book is for you. This is also for readers who would be interested in an author who uses a book as a means of instructing the reader in the ways of God and providing guidance on how to live a life worthy of eternal life in either heaven or hell.

The Field of Mustard Seeds
View: on Bookshelves
G D H
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Americanah
Currently Reading: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-d-h.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by G D H »

The title appears to sport with the parable of the mustard seed, as told in the books of Mathew (13:31-32), Mark (4:30-32), and Luke (13:18-19). But how, I am not sure. It could be a symbol for how Willow’s story relates closely with the chain reaction that follows a butterfly effect in chaos theory. The tiny bug that led to tremendous consequences and the ensuing suicidal attempt. But I hope the reverse becomes the case for her in the end and would serve to realise a striking situational contrast. That is, a new bug appears, not to cause chaos, but to lead to a towering good in any form. Then poor, little Willow becomes a wise, emancipated woman, or something close, or maybe even more. Dregus as a supposed “Keeper of Eden” also makes me all the more curious.

Hope to read and hope the identified issues—errors and all—are properly reviewed before then. Superb review, Christell!
Leila Boss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leila-boss.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Leila Boss »

Well written review!
Ann Harun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann-harun.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ann Harun »

Great review. Looking forward to reading the book.
Blackstenius
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

"Depression, suicide, the afterlife, alcoholism, post-traumatic stress disorder, drug abuse, poverty, physical abuse, attempted rape, adultery, abortion, and grief..." The above-mentioned themes can be overwhelming for one person to take, and I wouldn't judge the protagonist, or anyone for that matter, if they contemplated ending it all. But I love the message of hope and redemption given by the author. Great review.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”