Review of Wanda Watercolor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Review of Wanda Watercolor

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wanda Watercolor" by Beth A. Gold.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Wanda is a talented but largely idealistic watercolourist. She conceives wonderful concepts and brings them to life through the paintings in her living room, kitchen, bedroom, and even her fence walls. However, her idealistic nature leads her to commit a major blunder that traps her in a cycle of repetition and frustration. Can she learn the basics of life and self-awareness through a series of experiments and consultations?

Wanda Watercolor is a poetic prose, and I was very impressed with how Beth A Gold blended the "ingredients" of the duo to create a unique, interesting piece. The story begins with a very striking scene: a creator so immersed in her creation that her art is reflected in her lifestyle and dress, offering readers a scenario that excites their mental imaginations and prepares them to feed on the "main course" that follows.

Beth made a critical commentary on the "chasm" between appearance and reality through this story. This theme was developed through the character Wanda Watercolor, who is struggling with some personal challenges but is perceived by society as a highly talented, lucky, and comfortable lady. Now, this is a dominant societal issue. There are a lot of "packaged" personal and family lives out there, and when the bubbles burst, the clash has always been disheartening. Well, Wanda's personality and course of action may save as many as those willing to practise the message in this story.

The narration was gripping, which I would attribute to the carefully chosen words and strategic infusion of relevant poetic devices in the story. The word choices were vivid and picturesque. The illustrations helped situate the story in a proper context. Moreso, I admired the creative use of figurative devices in the story. My favourite was the use of simile on page 21: "Why this keeps on happening,/I've come to finally understand./As I felt life slipping through my fingers,/like the ocean through the sand." In addition, there was occasional rhyming in the second and fourth lines, which added a musical quality to the narrative.

I don't have any negative concerns about this book. I found two uncounted errors in it, though, but those only show that the book was professionally edited. Considering the aspects I liked while reading this book, I rate it five out of five stars. There is no reason to lower the rating. I enjoyed reading this book, and it has helped shape my opinion and approach to certain things in life. Hence, I am glad to recommend this book to those who like to read books about individual journeys to enlightenment and rebirth. This book is a first-hand pick for lovers of well-written, didactic fiction.

Wanda Watercolor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Surely Wanda’s journey will mirror that of others and possibly help them see that they are not alone.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”