Review of It's Safe Not to Hide

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Review of It's Safe Not to Hide

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It's Safe Not to Hide" by Pamela Woodford.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Being a teenager can be difficult, especially when grappling with an abusive parent, death, gender identity confusion, and illness. Four teens—Willow, Libby, JI, and Samra—bond over their mutual hardships while still having some fun along the way. The college’s psychologist, Sally, looks forward to her sessions with these effervescent, albeit troubled, teens every week, hoping she can guide them through their challenges.

Still, some situations are becoming dire, and Sally worries for their wellbeing. Willow’s reticence about her father’s abuse could be putting her in harm’s way; the loss of YI’s father is taking him down a self-destructive path, and Libby feels the plight of having leukemia. Samra seems way over her head, being groomed by a much older man.

Will Sally be able to unearth the truth of what’s going on behind closed doors before it’s too late?

It’s Safe Not to Hide by Pamela Woodford is a coming-of-age book that follows four friends facing adversity. The novel is written from the third-person perspective, alternating between the characters. As a result, the reader is transported into the minds of all four teens and their school psychologist. The themes of friendship, grief, and love are addressed throughout the book.

While I thought this book had a lot of promise, I didn’t enjoy it as much as I expected and had mixed feelings. For one, the bond between the friends seemed insincere and sufficient backstory was left out, particularly regarding the friendship between Samra and the other group members. A good chunk of the first part focused on Willow, Libby, and YI’s relationship. Still, Samra’s introduction to the group was rushed. One minute it was just the three, and then her character appeared with little explanation.

Further, I had difficulty identifying with any of the characters because the perspectives moved around constantly. For example, I’d empathize with Willow’s destructive family life; then, I would have to refocus my attention on YI’s grief in the next paragraph and switch gears again as Sally tried to make sense of it all. Perhaps by focusing on fewer characters or alternating perspectives less frequently, readers will have an easier time resonating with each individual.

Another thing that I found disappointing was the way Willow interacted with others. She constantly used profanity, and for me, it became excessive. While I understand she was supposed to give off a rough-around-the-edges vibe, it could have been portrayed more efficiently through her mannerisms and the way she said things.

Despite the book’s shortcomings, I thought the author did a great job depicting what it was like to be a teen, mainly regarding confusion about identity and navigating romantic relationships. Willow’s desire to be a boy one day and a girl the next aptly illustrated her inner struggle. Samra’s lack of experience was apparent when being courted by someone much older. In addition, there were no issues with spelling or grammar; the book was exceptionally edited.

That being said, I have chosen to give It’s Safe Not to Hide a rating of three out of five stars—deducting two stars due to continuous changes in perspective, which hindered my reading experience. In addition, the overuse of profanity also affected my rating.

As mentioned above, I have mixed feelings about the book. Still, I recommend it to readers who enjoy coming-of-age books, particularly ones with heavy-hitting topics. Conversely, the language could be problematic for sensitive readers; therefore, please approach the story cautiously.

It's Safe Not to Hide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I agree with your aversion to excess profanity. I am not offended by it, but, in my opinion, other words could be used occasionally. It does sound interesting to hear about the lives of these adolescents.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

This book seems to need better organization to bring out each teen character and their problems in a more cohesive way.
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

I don't read books that contain so much profanity. Thank you for your honest review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”