Review of The Forest of Riddles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Review of The Forest of Riddles

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Forest of Riddles" by Stephen J Willis.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Forest of Riddles by Stephen J. Willis is book two in the Christopher Daring Adventures series that can be read as a stand-alone, in my opinion. Christopher Daring is a twelve-year-old boy who lives with his mother, Evonne Daring, and his two younger siblings: his ten-year-old sister Faye and his seven-year-old brother Thomas, with no news about his older brother Jerome Daring and his father Alden Daring's whereabouts. When Christopher keeps wondering about the magical creatures he read about in the book "Ancient Myths and Folklore Whispers by Dan Wishbe", if they really exist and if what is written in the book is true, what happens when what was meant to be a vocation holiday with his grandfather Charlie and his friend Jason in Scotland turns into an adventure Christopher and his friends never expected? And the magical creatures, which they expected to be myths, turn out to really exist. To find out more, read this book, The Forest of Riddles.

What I liked most about this book was how the author utilised every creative writing, imagination, and concept that would make the book deserving of attention. Stephen J. Willis is a great author and narrator, as the narration he employed was compelling, powerful, and suspenseful. The way Stephen switched the narration between two people so the readers knew what was going on at each end without confusing them was impressive. I also like how the author established an incredible set-up for the book to strengthen the suspense in every scene in the book. The writing was wonderful, an accomplishment for which I highly praise the author.

I would also like to commend the author for the work put into character development. It was persuasive how the author laid out strong characters with unique personalities. My favourite of all the characters was Christopher; his love for his family and friends, his kind-hearted personality, and his selflessness to sacrifice his life to save his friends are what I liked most about him.

This book is bereft of negative aspects. Even though the author used complex language while writing this book, I may say that for me, this made the book more interesting. The use of riddles and anticipation of undisclosed secrets made the book more tremendous and fascinating. Stephen also did a great job of presenting the readers with the illustrations of the several signs and a map of the Scottish village in the book, which gave the reader a perfect view of what the author was talking about.

Because I enjoyed this book from the beginning to the end and did not detect any grammatical errors, The Forest of Riddles deserves a rating of five out of five stars. I enthusiastically recommend it to readers who appreciate adventurous thrillers dealing with magical and mysterious creatures. I would also recommend it to young adults and readers who appreciate novels filled with suspense and those who are fans of the Christopher Daring book series. Readers who are interested in riddles and mysterious codes would also like to read this book.

The Forest of Riddles
View: on Bookshelves
Hansome Menekara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansome-menekara.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Hansome Menekara »

The book seems to have deserved the perfect rating you gave. I totally love Sci-fi books.
Fawmi FJumana
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

This book calls me towards reading it with your review. The writing style and character development seem exceptionally done. And the suspenseful and riddle like writing style as you mentioned looks entertaining.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”