Review of Midnight on Fireworks Island

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Review of Midnight on Fireworks Island

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Midnight on Fireworks Island" by Christopher N Ciko.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Joey Johnson is taken to the Rockweiler Academy of Corrections, which is designed to discipline boisterous children who have been sentenced for various offenses. Martin Smack taunts Joey and his best friend Figgy at the academy, forcing them to complete his assignments and torturing them when they refuse. Despite the uprising from his closest friend and fellow inmates, Joey is still determined to get all the boys out of the academy by teaching them the academy regulations so they can gain points and escape the school within the time limit set by the academy. The voice inside his head propels him to assist the other inmates in every way he can and withstand the pressure meted out by Blackburn, the principal; despite Joey's good deeds, he is sent to the dungeon alongside Martin. Read this fascinating book to find out what fate awaits Joey and the other inmates.

Midnight on Fireworks Island by Christopher N. Ciko reveals the unavoidable cost of actions taken by people from all walks of life. The characters in the book, who are all victims of circumstance, suffer enormous punishment, and this aspect of the book helps readers realize the devastating message being conveyed. The author uses the present tense to help convey his message, leaving readers wondering what the next occurrence will give birth to. Readers can infer Joey's efforts to leave the academy with the other prisoners, but their lack of understanding of his motivation and his zeal to keep fighting for their release until the day of their graduation only makes it endearing to keep turning the pages of the novel. 

The aspect of the novel that I adored was the soul the author imbued in the lead character, Joey, who, despite his youth, was able to listen to his inner voice and distinguish right from wrong. What his fellows found alluring, he was able to resist and concentrate on his goal of regaining his freedom. I was moved by the unwavering spirit that kept him moving even in the worst circumstances. I was on the verge of passing out when Blackburn made him an enticing offer that was going to undermine everything Joey stood for and against, as well as what he genuinely represented.

I loved every page of the book; there was nothing I didn't like about it. The author was able to establish some connections between the characters and the readers. This component of the book that builds tension is another feature I adore since readers could tell what was going on in the characters' heads but were unable to predict what their next plan would be.

The book is not professionally edited. I detected various errors in it. I'll suggest that the book undergo a second round of editing so that it doesn't interfere with the reader's enjoyment. As a result of the numerous inaccuracies in the book, I'll give it four out of five stars. I recommend this lesson-packed read to fans of young adult fiction.

Midnight on Fireworks Island
View: on Bookshelves
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

I already like Joey's character. His goal to teach the other inmates the regulations so they can all leave at the stipulated time is quite commendable. Great review.
Azuka Jessica
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

The cover page is very beautiful. I also enjoyed reading the plot. It sounds like a movie. I will really like to read this book if I'm able to lay my hands on them. Thanks for an interesting review.
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

I hope Joey would come out better. Definitely an interesting book to read. Nice review.
Chris Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nakazuka.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Chris Azuka »

This book would be like watching a movie. Joey takes on a major role by leading his fellow inmates to gaining freedom. It would be nice to know how the story ends. Nice review.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Proof Readar »

I sensed a relaxing and satisfying reading experience when the life of Joe is read to the end. L also like his role.
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Agbata Trust »

Well I really admire your choice of book and you shelf. You always got book that makes alot of sense. This book is so amazing am looking forward to reading it.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

I do not know what offense brought Joey Johnson into the academy but the character that he is in this novel shows leadership, courage, and integrity. He is resilient to do what is just to get himself and others out of the academy. Great review!
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Wow, this sounds like a very interesting read. Your choice of words is impressive. I hope to read this book soon.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I love the plot of this novel. It’s an interesting one. It’s always wise and good to listen to our inner mind. They help us better than we can think just like Joey here.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

From your review I have developed a likeness for Joel. I pray he survives the dungeon and eventually succeeds in his quests. Well done.
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

Your review made me to fall in love with the character, Joel, nice review.
Chiamaka_Glory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-glory.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chiamaka_Glory »

From your review, Joel seems to be an enjoyable character. I sincerely pray he survived prison and turn out to be a success. Nice review.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

The book's cover page is actually daring. Joey is a great character. I believe he will survive in the harsh world because of the good deed he has done for people. Thanks for writing this review. The review has lessons one can grab.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

This book has an interesting concept and tell a unique story i look forward to reading it. Nice review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”