Review of The Miracle of Ramadan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Savina Visintin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savina-visintin.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Review of The Miracle of Ramadan

Post by Savina Visintin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Miracle of Ramadan" by Wassim Hijazi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Miracle of Ramadan by Wassim Hijazi tells the story of Karim Malik, a successful man who runs a shoe factory in Al Tawbah, a place where once there was peace but which has been ravaged by war. Karim employs many people in the town, but he is a hard-hearted man who has alienated all his friends and even the woman he once loved. However, after a visit from the ghost of his deceased partner, Mansour, Karim finds himself experiencing past, present, and future Ramadans in the company of three angels who show him the most significant events. Will Karim become a better person after this experience?

The Miracle of Ramadan is a book that I enjoyed overall. The story reminds me of Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol, but I was curious to read it nonetheless because it is set in the Arab world during Ramadan (it was this new setting that really convinced me to read this book). I have to say that I did not regret my decision. The story works well even in a different place and era, and I appreciated this version because it allows you to validate the message of change and redemption that the book conveys.

What I liked least is the similarity with the story told by Dickens. I read that book many years ago, but many episodes are very similar (not to say identical). I would have preferred a little more originality from this point of view, and I believe the book would have been less monotonous in some passages (it is not pleasant to read episodes you already know). The best part is, in my opinion, the one where the protagonist's ex-girlfriend and sister work as nurses in a dangerous area; this really piqued my interest.

The most unpleasant things about The Miracle of Ramadan are the typographical errors. I noticed quite a few during my reading, and it is a pity because one more check would have been enough to avoid them.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars because, although it is very similar to the famous book by Dickens, it is a delightful read for the setting, which is so different from that of the original story, and its beautiful message. I think this book is suitable for everyone (whether they are Muslims or not) because I believe its principles have universal value. Moreover, the story is easy to understand, so I recommend it not only to adult readers but to children, too.

The Miracle of Ramadan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

I want to find out what's turned in for Karim after the experience. Seems an interesting book to read.
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

This storyline is delightful and will be a good read. Thank you for this honest review.
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

This is an interesting and a fascinating review. I loved how you captured every aspect of the book. I did enjoy reading your review. This is an interesting one.
fouziaraza0
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by fouziaraza0 »

This book seem to be interesting I would like to read this book and I'm sure that I will enjoy while reading this book .

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”