Review of Deadly Setup

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CrossK
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Review of Deadly Setup

Post by CrossK »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deadly Setup" by Lynn Slaughter.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

As long as Samantha Hunter remembered, it had just been her and her mom with a tight group of friends. Despite her mom's wealthy status, the death of Samantha's father was a loss that she could never recover from. Meryl Hunter is a romance fiction writer, and pretty soon, she announces her engagement to Adam, whom she believes will be the one she could spend the rest of her life with. Meanwhile, Sam decides to focus on Noah, who seems to like her and wants a relationship with her.

When Adam is found dead in their home, Sam is accused because she has done everything she can to end her mother's relationship. She had found that Adam's past consisted of a vast gambling addiction and a habit of getting involved with rich older women. Although Sam is relieved that Adam was unable to steal her mother's wealth, she must prove to the court that she was being set up and was not guilty of killing Adam Holloway. Will she be successful despite the incriminating evidence against her? Find out in this amazing piece of mystery fiction.

Deadly Setup by Lynn Slaughter has a few positive aspects to be found in the book. There were only a few errors, so I believe the book was professionally edited. The grammar used in the book was simple and easy to understand. Character development was one of my favorite parts of the book. I believe the characters were very relatable with well-rounded emotions. The story begins with Sam, who minds her business and does not care if people think she is a rich snob. But after all that she went through after Adam's death, she realized that what is truly important is hanging on to those who are in your corner, especially when they are feeling down. Ultimately, she is much more confident and sure of herself than ever before, with Noah by her side. The emotional maturity she attained was a significant change for her originally insecure character.

Another part of this book that I enjoyed was the central theme. I think the crucial one would be the importance of criminal justice. The police were ready to lock Sam up forever because of circumstantial evidence without making any effort to find other possibilities in the case. The public was willing to see her crucified because of their hatred for the wealthy. This is just more proof that law enforcement needs to do a better job of finding evidence and suspects instead of picking the person who seems guilty.

There was nothing negative about this book. I think it was a great body of work, and the author was able to put down his thoughts in the best way possible. The length of the book was suitable, and I was able to finish it in one sitting. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to lovers of crime or mystery thrillers. It will be more suitable for mature readers because of its profane content.

Deadly Setup
View: on Bookshelves
Ben Madeley
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

I don't always love romance thrillers, but your review makes this sound very interesting, so I might read it in the future.
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

This is an interesting and a fascinating review. I loved how you captured every aspect of the book. I did enjoy reading your review. This is an interesting one.
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

I’m curious to know if Sam was discovered to be innocent. This is a lovely review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”