Young Adult books/author suggestions.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
natashak
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natashak.html

Young Adult books/author suggestions.

Post by natashak »

Does anyone have any good suggestions for book or Authors for young adults?
zjones99
Favorite Author: John Green
Currently Reading: Binge
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjones99.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by zjones99 »

I really enjoyed Lindsay Cummings' novel The Murder Complex, it is a dystopian future based book about a girl named Meadow who has lots of secrets to hide from the people around her. She then meets a Zephyr, a guy who also has a very dark secret that he does not even know about. They go on this amazing adventure to save family members, friends, and to help their society. That is just a quick rundown of the story. There is also the classic The Giver by Lois Lowry about a boy with a special ability that can help or hurt his home. There is also a book named Endgame by James Frey that I have not read yet but it seems very interesting. I hope this helps!
AKBookAddict
Currently Reading: City of Lost Souls
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akbookaddict.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by AKBookAddict »

I really like Amanda Hawking. Her writing style is very decrying and pulls you in to be able to view everything in your head down to the last detail. She also inspires me because she started out being denied by publishers so went through the route of self publishing. Her first paycheck was enough to buy a house. She now has multiple series out, but they are not overly heard about like Twilight, etc and she doesn't use the typical mythical creatures.

I'm also a little biased because after I read two of her series and fell in love with her writing (unknowingly - I normally don't pay attention to who wrote something until after I read it) but she grew up and lives like 2 hours from where I grew up! (Same state - Minnesota).

I also have a ton of book titles in my head - what kind of YA stories do you like to read? Doomsday, greek mythology, mythical lore, realistic, etc? Would love to give you some actual titles :)
makenna-16
Currently Reading: The Codex
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makenna-16.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by makenna-16 »

I really enjoy Karen Witemeyer. One of my favorites is Short Straw Bride. All her books are about trust, forgiveness, and especially trusting in God and in his plan for you :) I've given all her books 5/5 stars. They are fantastic and when I'm reading them I find that I can't put them down.
GandalfTheFey

Post by GandalfTheFey »

The Forgotten Door - Alexander Key. An amazing story, sweet and dark and hopeful, of a boy raised in natural utopia on another planet who finds themselves stranded on modern earth.

The Eyes of Kid Midas - Neal Shusterman. Story of boy picked on in school who finds ultimate power, and how that power can corrupt even those with the best intentions.
Btkgarrity
Currently Reading: The Sky is Everywhere
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-btkgarrity.html

Post by Btkgarrity »

The book Happily Ever After by Trista Sutter is a great young adult book. She was on the television series The Bachelor and The Bachelorette. She cares about her kids and her loving husband. She talks about how God has blessed her with a wonderful family and two healthy children.
I could NOT put the book down! Trista talks about how important it is to be a grateful person and it has really changed my outlook on life. The book is amazing and I would recommend it to teens and adults. Please read this book! It helps you appreciate even the little things more. Hope you like it! :D
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

For a light read in YA fantasy you could try The Gift of Lies by myself. I'm probably not supposed to post this here, but what the hey . . .
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YHUC2A0
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
smurfette2580
Currently Reading: How to Win at Feminism
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smurfette2580.html

Post by smurfette2580 »

I'm bingeing on Rainbow Rowell and Sara Zarr right now. Eleanor and Park was fantastic, and Fangirl was about the cutest book I've ever read.

From Sara Zarr, Story of a Girl is her biggest, but I haven't gotten around to that one yet. My favorite of hers so far is The Lucy Variations, though Once Was Lost (alternately titled What Was Lost) also left me reeling — in the very best way. I met Sara at a signing once, and she said that her books tend to appeal to adults who love YA books, rather than to the young adults themselves. It's an interesting observation, but I get it. There are some really complicated issues in her stories.

Enjoy your reading!
Glacier_sky868
Currently Reading: Extinction Event
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glacier-sky868.html

Post by Glacier_sky868 »

Its hard to make a suggestion not knowing what type of books you like. One of my personal favorite Young Adult authors is Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. She has many books out, all set in the same "world". Her books deal with creatures like vampires, witches, and shape shifters. Her books are very quick read and easy reads, but have very indepth storylines and characters. Her characters are complex, usually neither universally good or bad, which always makes for an intriguing and interesting read. If you enjoy this genre of books they you must look into her! I suggest starting with her first book In the Forest of the Night.
ajhilyard

Post by ajhilyard »

Have you ever tried reading anything by Garth Nix? His Abhorsen trilogy is one of my all time favorites.
SirTyler
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirtyler.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by SirTyler »

Brandon Sanderson has a young adult series called The Reckoners. The first book is Steel Heart, the second is Firefight, and the third and final volume should be coming out in February next year, called Calamity. There is also a novella called Mitosis set in the same world. It's a fun fantasy series, and I'd recommend it highly. 8)
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

natashak wrote:Does anyone have any good suggestions for book or Authors for young adults?
I was thinking about your request and I've come to question just what constitute an age appropriate book. I'm not sure there is such a thing – perhaps books appropriate to reading skills, or sensibilities. When I was in the 5th grade, I enjoyed Wind in the Willow, and then I became enthralled with a nonfiction book titled Kon Tiki – an account of a Norwegian explorer who sailed a raft built of balsa trees from South America to cross the Pacific. He wanted to demonstrate that the Polinician people could have originated from the Americans. Wind in the Willow was age appropriate. Kon Tiki was considered appropriate for someone a bit older, but I loved both books. When I was in my 50's, both my wife and I loved to read the adventures of Harry Potter. Fortunately, no one told me what was appropriate for our age. As a teenager, you have your reading assignments, but beyond that, you have a whole world of books from which to choose – none of them care how old you are.
I don't know what would please you, but I can tell you what pleased me:
For nonfiction, I love sea adventures. There are a lot of first accounts of people who live their lives in sailboats. For just about any life style, there are many nonfiction books which will take you into their worlds.
For fiction, I go for just about anything. This website categorizes them in its forum. Lately, I have been reading a lot of Historical Fiction. Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth was a great read. What I like about Historical Fiction is that it gives you a personal experience into what could be thought of as a rather dry subject – history. In this same genre, but more fanciful, is Jean Auel's series of prehistoric adventures. Her Earth's Children is a series of books that can make your imagination fly.
TheSnowBlues
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesnowblues.html

Post by TheSnowBlues »

James Patterson is one of my all time favorite authors who writes multiple genres including young adult.

He's written the Maximum Ride series which was an awesome series about six young teenagers who have wings and try to save the world.

Witch and Wizard series was another one by James Patterson, about a brother and a sister who find out they have powers, and try to save the world from the NWO (New World Order).

He's also written Confessions of a Murder Suspect series where the protagonist is finding clues about her parent's murder, trying to solve it before the police pins it on the wrong person.
Ginger_Julie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginger-julie.html

Post by Ginger_Julie »

If you're really looking into a new series, I suggest House of Night by P.C. and Kristen Cast. These books will blow your mind I swear. If you're into a vampires I promise that you will not be disappointed. This is no Edward Cullen "When I stand in the light I glitter!" no. This is a completely different scenario. The basic plot is about a girl named Zoey Montgomery (Redbird) who gets marked by a tracker and is sent to the House of Night for vampyres (yes, that is how they spell it in the series). Zoey soon finds out that she is not any normal vampyre fledgling though. When she wakes up from a harsh fall, she is surprised to find that her crescent moon tattoo on the middle of her forehead is filled in. All vampyre fledglings receive a crescent tattoo on the middle of their foreheads, yet they do not get filled in until they complete the change into a vampyre. That's right. It is possible to not make the change. At the house of night, the fledglings will go through four years of high school, and it is expected that they will either make the change in the third or fourth year. If not, then the body begins to reject the change and usually ends in a bloody, painful mess. With Zoey, though, no one is quite sure if she basically is a vampire already. It seems that she is marked specially by the goddess, Nyx. As she begins to experience early bloodlust, and unnatural feelings as she enters the first full moon ritual in which all five of the elements are summoned to a circle.

This is a thirteen book series, and after you make it through the first couple of chapters of Marked (first book) there is no going back. You have to commit. I loved the series and want to read it all over again. I am so sad that it ended, but it has quite a few novellas that I plan to read, all focusing on one very important character and basically their life story.

Each book ties into each other. Honestly, you may believe that the series is being dragged on, but in reality, every single event is connected. Looking up some book reviews on YouTube will help more of your understanding, as I don't think I can do the series justice.
domnicole1987
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domnicole1987.html

Post by domnicole1987 »

I really enjoyed the Under the Never Sky series by Veronica Rossi.
It is the story of Aria and Perry. Aria is a Dweller she lives in a pod that was built to protect those living in it from the dangerous elements outside. Perry is an Outsider as the name states he lives outside of the pod. They come from two different worlds but are drawn together in a search for their loved ones. An unlikely alliance leads to a strong bond of love and respect. The series explores the struggles they have to keep their love as those around them try to tear them apart. I think it was better than Hunger Games and Divergent.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”