Review of Hole In The Wall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-amarachi-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Operation November Blizzard by Stephen Snow (penname)

Review of Hole In The Wall

Post by Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hole In The Wall" by Monka Jean.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Hole in the Wall by Monka Jean is a beautiful book that talks about the struggles of homeless children and children from bad homes. Monka Jean portrays children surviving through luck on the streets due to the cruelty life has shown to them, which they have to face head-on.

In our society today, we see lots of homeless children, but we don’t know their story and how they got to the streets. In Hole in the Wall, we see Tyler and his siblings, who have suffered abuse from their parents all their life, struggle through life. You will think the children have suffered enough, but their lives take a turn for the worse as something drastic happens, and they find themselves living on luck as street children in a place called The Junction. Young Tyler is tasked with protecting his siblings from the dangers of the street and the clutches of the case workers. He promises to protect his siblings and be a superhero in their life, hiding them so that the CPS doesn’t take them into foster homes and split them in the process. As you read the book, you can only hope that Tyler is able to keep to his promise.

I loved everything about this book. Monka Jean is an excellent writer who was able to connect every emotion felt by the characters to her readers. Reading this book made me see homeless children in a new light. I could not help but feel every emotion they felt. At every junction, I understood their pain and the rough life that has been handed over to them, a life they didn’t ask for, a life given to them by bad parents who put their love for drugs over their love for their children. I loved how the author shows us that through the darkness, there is always a silver lining, and as long as there is life, there is hope. I also loved how she portrayed Tyler and his siblings having fun and being happy despite how they had to survive.

Since I didn't find any negative aspects, this book will get a deserved perfect rating. Therefore, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because of the positive aspects above. Monka Jean perfected all aspects of the book.

I believe this book is a must-read, and so I recommend it to every reader as I think we should all get to know what these children on the streets go through. To narrow it down a bit, I will also recommend this book for people going through a hard time in life, thinking that all is over. This is so they can borrow a leaf from these children who survived at such a young age and know that it’s going to be alright.

Hole In The Wall
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Night Reader 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-night-reader-1.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Night Reader 1 »

Wow! The book is inspirational. It made me think about the life of children who lives on the streets and fight for their survival. Thanks for the review you did an amazing job.
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

The book is educating base on your review, it has lots of lessons as it sheds light on homeless children and children from bad home. Thanks for inspiring me.
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

This book sounds like one worth reading. Homelessness is worldwide and what better way to teach people to be mindful that it could happen to any one of us. Thank you for your review
Ivy_reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-reads.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Ivy_reads »

I already like Tyler from your review. I can only imagine how great he is in the novel. Great review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”