Review of The End

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scott Fling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott-fling.html
Latest Review: GOD'S PLAN FOR YOU: 21-DAY DEVOTIONAL by Tim Outlaw

Review of The End

Post by Scott Fling »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The End" by John Barnes.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered about the location or destination of the souls of the deceased until the Second Coming of Christ? That theological question has always intrigued me. In John Barnes’s novel The End, the author takes us on a journey to a world that mirrors the imminent apocalypse mentioned in several books of the Bible. Amid the suffering of humanity, high school senior jock Jake Peterson falls in love with the pretty partier Katie Martin. The couple starts dating and feels they are meant to be together.

Jake, however, is perplexed by Katie’s behavior whenever she drinks excessively and flirts with other guys right in front of him. In contrast to Katie, Jake has never consumed alcohol because of a personal vow he made after his grandparents’ tragic death caused by a drunk driver. This disparity of behavior becomes a significant issue in their relationship. Katie even urges Jake to take a one-week break from communicating with each other to choose between his commitment to alcohol abstinence and their relationship. She proposes that he break his rules and have a drink with her. The question lingers: Will Jake abandon his principles?

The End portrays the everyday school life of American high school students, including their football team, teacher interactions, and interesting games. The “Never Have I Ever” game was my favorite. The dating culture depicted in the book was fascinating, especially regarding the way children were transparent with their parents about their romantic relationships, and how parents were supportive in turn. Another aspect of the book that piqued my interest was the author’s explanation of where and how the souls of dead people reside until the end of the world. The souls undergo rehearsals in heaven and carry out some tasks on earth.

The novel’s perspective on abortion may not conform to some people’s views, but I agree with the stance the author takes. The book portrays what it means to the baby’s soul to be refused the opportunity to taste life on earth. One example of this is spirit Chandler.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed reading The End; it offered me great enjoyment. I disliked nothing about it, and I did not notice any grammatical errors. It was professionally edited. Therefore, I rate The End five out of five stars. If you are a fan of contemporary fiction, I wholeheartedly recommend this book. Everyone should read it to become inspired to not break, or even bend, his/her own rules and principles.

The End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I hope Jake was strong enough to uphold his vow. Why couldn't Katie respect his decision? Thanks for the review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Laney K »

The concept of sacrificing morals to be with someone is a fascinating one. Thanks for the informative review

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”