Review of Peril and Splendor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Blessing Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-odii.html
Latest Review: The Proximity of Stars by Benedict Stuart

Review of Peril and Splendor

Post by Blessing Odii »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Peril and Splendor" by Caleb Birch.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Peril and Splendor: The Journey to Yragos (Fantasy Mission Book 1) was written by Caleb Birch. A team of warriors has defeated a terrible beast. This beast has tormented the inhabitants of Aegemald for some time. Ramsay was a knight who was the leader of his team of warriors. The warriors had the responsibility of protecting Nashia from any form of intrusion. They had exceptional fighting skills and magical abilities. Ramsay and his team were on a mission to defeat the ant people when they learned Nashia was under attack. Dragons had taken control of Nashia, destroying people and buildings with fire.

In response to these disturbances, a meeting was held to strategize how to defeat these dragons. The warriors have been given a mission to kill the alpha leader of the dragons. This was a mission they must accomplish for peace in Nashia. Ramsay must visit his old master, Galather, before embarking on this adventure. But there's something they must do to succeed.

The ability to tell what to expect from each chapter just by looking at the chapter title is one of the things I value most about this book. Also, how the author draws the reader in is one amazing feature of this book. A section of the narrative where Ramsay and his squad were on the battlefield attempting to slay a beast was the scenario that particularly piqued my interest. In this interesting tale, I love that every intended mission is first registered as a mission at the warriors' guild before the team carries it out. This somehow instigated the warriors to fight and defend Nashia intentionally.

Another fascinating thing about this story is that Ramsay's team was an inclusion of varieties of gifts and magic. The use of these various skills and gifts instigates their constant victories. Also, they share and have a bond that allows them to fight effortlessly. Peakiboon, the talking rabbit who later became part of Ramsay's team, was a very observant and careful rabbit. In a particular scene, the rabbit could use the dragon shackle orb to return Ramsay's memory. The character of Peakiboon added flavor to the whole plot.

The novel was full of engaging scenes from the first chapter. The author is such a proficient writer. The storyline was awesome and great. Their journey to the dragon's heart was the book's most intriguing part. Their encounters and many adventures make this book an intriguing one. Overall, the last part of the tale seems to be the best part.

I found nothing negative about this book. It was an effortless read for me. I didn't find any errors in the book. It was exceptionally well-edited and well-written. Peril and Splendor: The Journey to Yragos (Fantasy Mission Book 1) by Caleb Birch deserves a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to readers thrilled by adventure stories.

Peril and Splendor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting young adult fantasy fiction novel highlighting adventure, action, danger, leadership, magic, and the hunt for a dangerous dragon. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

๐Ÿ›ก๐Ÿ‰ 'Peril and Splendor: The Journey to Yragos' by Caleb Birch is a breathtaking tale of warriors and dragons, with Ramsay and his squad taking center stage. ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ A must-read for fantasy and adventure enthusiasts! ๐Ÿ“š Congratulations on being BOTD!
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

The epic fantasy "Peril and Splendor" promises an enthralling adventure with Ramsay, a valiant knight, leading a diverse team of skilled warriors against dragons. The intricate world-building in this novel holds immense appeal for me.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is a YA fantasy novel filled with action, adventure, and suspense. Although this isn't the one for me, I think some of my older students will enjoy it! I plan to add this to our class book recommendations board. Thank you so much! :-)
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

While sampling the book I was glued to it and finished chapter-1 in one go. There is a strong flow in the book and the reader simply floats with it. Ramsey and his team is fantastic.
The review is well made. Thanks.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Ams Strong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ams-strong.html
Latest Review: Chasing Dragons between Dimensions by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by Ams Strong »

Good review. A bit bland for me. In paragraph three, you set the stage for detailed explanations regarding what piqued your interest but gave very few details. There were too many character names in this review. I think you should have stuck to a few main ones. Otherwise, I enjoyed reading this review.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

The cover and title are amazingly fitting. However, I'm not into stories involving dragons, so I'm going to skip the book. I'm certain it reached to its targeted audience, and they will enjoy Ramsay's adventure. Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Hy Be
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hy-be.html
Latest Review: Bellamy by G. Bradley Davis

Post by Hy Be »

Amazing novel with great plot. The story intrigued me from first to last page of the book. There was nothing negative aspects of this book.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This YA fantasy novel is full of action and adventure. I am not the target audience for this but I think I could enjoy this. Thanks for your review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

Some classic tropes are used of the fantasy genre are used in this young adult novel. I might be too old for this series but this first book seems engaging with its rich storyline based on a diversity of magic gifts skillfully used to develop and adventurous plot. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Shally Z
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shally-z.html
Latest Review: Things that bite in the Night by Deborah Tant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shally Z »

This is the first book of a young adult fantasy series and sounds like theres a lot of action. Thanks for the review.
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code&reg;
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I am intrigued by the exceptional fighting skills and magical abilities of Ramsay's team of warriors. I am also interested in learning if they will be able to defeat the dragons that have taken control of Nashia.
Danny Anderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danny-anderson.html
Latest Review: Fouling in Business and College Athletics by Gonzalo Fernandez

Post by Danny Anderson »

Absolutely love how you've highlighted the adventure in this story! Your review perfectly captures the thrilling journey and excitement of this book. It's clear this book is a real gem for adventure enthusiasts. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Noorko
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noorko.html
Latest Review: Their Winter Burn by Mary Ann Trail

Post by Noorko »

I liked the mix of realism elements in this book, it's fun to find that here.

Return to โ€œYoung Adult Fiction Booksโ€